• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What are your thoughts on binocams? (1 Viewer)

nightheron28

Exterminate! Exterminate! Exxxtttteeeerrrrmmmiinat
I ran into a model that looked like it might be pretty good. I think this is a brilliant idea although so far from a model I looked at, at one of those useless gadget type stores in the mall that optically they fall flat on their face.

This bushnell looks like it might actually be pretty good! I think it would be really nice to be able to capture memories of some of my sightings without having to lug around and cough up the thousands for a camera setup capable of taking pics of birds.

I ran into a model that looked like it might be pretty good. I think this is a brilliant idea although so far from a model I looked at, at one of those useless gadget type stores in the mall that optically they fall flat on their face.

This bushnell looks like it might actually be pretty good! I think it would be really nice to be able to capture memories of some of my sightings without having to lug around and cough up the thousands for a camera setup capable of taking pics of birds.

I found this very interesting quote from one of the site administrators at the OpticsPlanet forum.

Jne_K @ OpticsPlanet said:
Digital binoculars are about the convenience of having two instruments in one, not about performance. If you are concerend about pic quality or optical performance in the binocular, this kind of product will not compare to even an average digital point and shoot camera or an average quality binocular. It's not so much a matter of MP as it is low lens quality and processing capability. This is about what you should expect from the price. Remember, you are getting two products in one for less than the price of an average quality digital point and shoot camera.

In other words, the "benefit" is that you can have two pieces of crap in one package!! Why is it that doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me?

Sorry but, I'm way too poor to waste my hard-earned money on such "bargains" and "conveniences."

I found this very interesting quote from one of the site administrators at the OpticsPlanet forum.

In other words, the "benefit" is that you can have two pieces of crap in one package!! Why is it that doesn't sound like much of a bargain to me?

Sorry but, I'm way too poor to waste my hard-earned money on such "bargains" and "conveniences."

Yes I agree all of the models I know about are cheap junk which is why I would have never considered this idea, however Bushnell released this:

http://www.optics4birding.com/bushnell-instant-replay-8x32-3.2mp-camera-binoculars-10579.html

Which actually looks to be a step in the right direction.

The idea of this thing is nothing short of brilliant. If the optics were good enough and the electronics were good enough this would be a really useful tool that I think a lot of birders would go for. I know I would. I am surprised that the big names in the optics game have not stepped up with some models. To me this is far more useful to a birder then these image stabilized binoculars, which don't get me wrong those are useful too, but I think a really great pair of binoculars with a built in digital camera would make a killing!

consumersearch.com said:
Note that products in the digital camera binoculars category can’t compete with regular binoculars, or regular digital cameras quality-wise, so you give up something to get the combination.

This quote is taken directly from the web page you posted and speaks directly to the Bushnell model in question - which they list as the best of the current crop of combo offerings. Please note that they are in essence saying the exact same thing as the Optics Planet Forum Administrator. Furthermore, the fact that no higher end makers have touched this concept (which you also pointed out yourself) says a lot about where the technology really is (or isn't) in making the bino-camera combo a viable, high-quality option.

I agree with you that the concept is great and would go even further to say that I'm confident that, sometime in the not-so-distant future, they will prove very viable and useful and also that every high-end manufacturer will eventually have a bino-camera offering to entice us. We're just not there yet.

However, it's your money. If you like the concept and aren't all that concerned about quality, then go for it.

Last edited:
This quote is taken directly from the web page you posted and speaks directly to the Bushnell model in question - which they list as the best of the current crop of combo offerings. Please note that they are in essence saying the exact same thing as the Optics Planet Forum Administrator. Furthermore, the fact that no higher end makers have touched this concept (which you also pointed out yourself) says a lot about where the technology really is (or isn't) in making the bino-camera combo a viable, high-quality option.

I agree with you that the concept is great and would go even further to say that I'm confident that, sometime in the not-so-distant future, they will prove very viable and useful and also that every high-end manufacturer will eventually have a bino-camera offering to entice us. We're just not there yet.

However, it's your money. If you like the concept and aren't all that concerned about quality, then go for it.

Yeah thanks for all the good info. I will just have to wait.

I've heard/read nothing to dispute most of the foregoing, but consider this: if any of several birders had had one of these products in hand, the dispute over the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (rediscovered? or big mistake?) might have been resolved long ago.

Yeah, your right. I'm sure it would be just like how the various "pictures" of Bigfoot finally managed to put that controversy to rest. o:D

Quality really does trump pretty much all else.

I got a pair a few years back can't remember the make, they were good as a Bino but rubbish as the camera unless you are taking a picture of a Heron that is about 20ft away from you. It may look great in the viewfinder but the results were bad, really bad any small bird was a speck.

So unless Bushnell have made superb advances on these or you can actually borrow them from the shop for a few hours to see how they come out. I would put it on the backburner.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back