• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few thoughts on the EL10X50SV and EL8.5X42SV (1 Viewer)

I ran across this review-observation http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?9856-Swarovski-EL-10x50-Swarovision-review recently. The third post refers to the 10X42 and 8.5X42 being sharper than the 10X50. I don't have the 10X42 here anymore to compare to my 10X50 and 8.5X42, but he is dead on about the 8.5X42 being sharper than the 10 X 50. The 10X50 SV has a very sharp image, as sharp as I had seen until getting the 8.5.
Memory is worse than opinion.
"I was unable to make any direct comparison with 10x42s, but (from memory) in my personal opinion, no."

Last edited:
That's true. I don't own the 10X42 anymore so I can't compare them, but I still own an IF Porro that was at least as sharp if not a tiny bit more so than the 10X42. When directly comparing the same IF Porro to the 10X50 the results are much the same as with the 10X42. The 8.5X42 on the other hand is significantly sharper than the same Minox Porro.

Memory is worse than opinion.
"I was unable to make any direct comparison with 10x42s, but (from memory) in my personal opinion, no."

I had the 10x42's and 10x50's side by side for over a week, periodically, and could not see any difference in sharpness at all. Then again, I have 54 yr old eyeballs.

I'd have to say the 10x50 SV was sharper than the 10x42 SV. Personally I find the difference in the 8.5 and 10x 42 SV to be negligible.

So long as the view was stationary, the 10x50 had something I can't quite put my finger on that gave it a more relaxed, easier on the eye view.

Bino Titans!

As Steve C has stated several times here on BF, it is amazing the variation of visual perception we all possess. At these levels of alpha optical instruments, I've come to believe any performance differences come mostly from how we each see the world, not sample variations. That is why comments, opinions and reviews on a model should be taken cautiously (including my own) and "Try before you Buy" should be paramount in a purchase investment.

Now, with all of the realities of the H-Factor being covered, for my eyes I found the 10x50 SV the sharpest binos I've glassed with (>30) this past year, while affording superb resolution, accurate color fidelity, deep stereopsis and the most relaxed and ease of view DOF. The complete SV line up, to me, are all very close in sharing the 10x50 attributes. It certainly is understandable that anyone would select one model over the other! Seems that once I became accustom to the SV's flat field sharpness, all others just left me wanting for more! :t:

Ted

Last edited:
I'm learning more and more from this forum as well as a couple of high end audio forums that apparently we all have our own [realities]. My reality is that the two 8.5X42 SVs I've seen are markedly sharper than their 10X42 and 10X50 counterparts. I guess maybe what I'm really trying to say with this thread is don't overlook the 8.5, I did initially and it turned out to be my favorite. One of the 10s might be yours.:t:

I'm learning more and more from this forum as well as a couple of high end audio forums that apparently we all have our own [realities]. My reality is that the two 8.5X42 SVs I've seen are markedly sharper than their 10X42 and 10X50 counterparts. I guess maybe what I'm really trying to say with this thread is don't overlook the 8.5, I did initially and it turned out to be my favorite. One of the 10s might be yours.:t:

I "hear" you Robert! :t:

Through the 70's and 80's, I became an audiophile obsessed with 2-channel stereo fidelity that could project the auditory performance out into the room with 3-D depth and width. Just thought our reality is different with sight...hearing perception is a Whole Different World!!! Individual auditory senses, room interactions, musical taste and very diverse electronic\speaker designs (BIG $$$) make visual perception differences seem like "we all see equal" in comparison!! In the end, my journey became complete with a system that "I" enjoyed listening to! o:D

The EL 8.5's do offer fantastic optics and glad you re-discovered their magical visual reality! Enjoy the view and remember, stay thirsty my friend!! B :)

Ted

Reality is relative as I have been told many times.

I have the SV 10X42 and have always wanted the 8.5X42. Now that the SF 8X42 has moved in, the reality is there probably won't get a 8.5X42. That is unless I get rid of something ELSE!:eek!:

A fellow has offered to trade his ATM HD 65 with 25x - 50x wide angle eye piece for my NIB 10X50 SV. I don't need a scope, how easy would that one be to sell. Are the 10X50s worth more than the scope. ?

If the scope comes with the Swarovski Tripod, they have the same value.

Jan

A fellow has offered to trade his ATM HD 65 with 25x - 50x wide angle eye piece for my NIB 10X50 SV. I don't need a scope, how easy would that one be to sell. Are the 10X50s worth more than the scope. ?

Robert,

In my opinion (I know we all have one), if you don't need the scope, just put the 10x50 up for sale here and other optical forums. Not sure what you are in for, but have seen 10\12x50 SV's moving off e-bay regularly! ;)

Ted

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back