• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL Pure 8x32 field of view (3 Viewers)

if the fov is same. bino with larger lens size feel more wider.
zeiss victory 8x25 and nikon 8x42 EDG has similar FOV but latter feel more immerse to many users

and high 3D rendering (combined with apatyer of lenses and distortion amount) lead to feel of width.
I think thats why many people feels 7x50 porro which usually have only around 50 AFOV not as narrow as stated.

Really nice explanation. Exactly these reasons make me feel the FOV of my Habicht 7x42 is not small at all. Although a lot of people claim it has a claustrophobic view. Higher DOF and the 3D of Habicht 7x42 give more freedom to look through compared to the NL 8x42 allows. However it may not true for all due to the different perspectives of space rendering by the brain function of different individuals.

While I'm on this topic of comparing 10x with 8x, can anyone recommend a good lowish to mid-priced 10x binocular. 32 or 42. Flat or flattish view an advantage, but not of course necessary.

Just to be awkward, I've never really liked Zeiss (sorry). I've borrowed a pair in the past, and tried a few out, but didn't click with me.
In the same way that your 'everyday' binocular is now your 8x32 NL, my 'everyday' binocular is a 10x32 EL. Nice preloved examples come up for sale on a regular basis, and this would probably tick all your 10x boxes.

Others which I (personally) like very much which are not flat field but are wonderful binoculars, at midrange(ish) price, are Leica Trinovid HD 10x32/42 and Kowa Genesis 10x33/10.5x44. Not especially wide fields of view though, if this is important.

Last edited:
While I'm on this topic of comparing 10x with 8x, can anyone recommend a good lowish to mid-priced 10x binocular. 32 or 42. Flat or flattish view an advantage, but not of course necessary.

Just to be awkward, I've never really liked Zeiss (sorry). I've borrowed a pair in the past, and tried a few out, but didn't click with me.
What Zeiss did you try ? And what is lowish mid-priced to you?

Just reporting back to say that I got hold of the NL Pure 10x32, as I said I would - so that I could compare it with the NL Pure 8x32 which I already had (still within the return period). I treat them with great care, so don't feel too bad trying them at home.
As I say above, I wanted to try the 10x because I although I love the 8x I wondered if the narrower fov would suit me more.

Most of you will already know much of the following, but I'll say it anyway, in case it's of interest. Spent a long time today comparing the two. I live overlooking fields and a hill, with a fair number of features at different distances, plus gulls, geese, crows and a couple of swans today. So not bad as a way to try them out.

Initially when I got the 10x, earlier in the week, I very briefly had a look through them and thought, nope, definitely sticking with the 8x. But today I wasn't so sure, as I was tempted by the 10x magnification. In a way a difficult decision, but long story short, I'm sticking with the 8x, and am very happy with that decision.

Although I had some reservations (see original post) about the wide fov, it is definitely an advantage, I now realise. I can understand why some might prefer a narrower and perhaps less flat fov, and at times the wide fov of the 8x may feel too wide for me. But the pros will greatly outweigh the cons . And while it might be a little bit frustrating not having the 10x magnification, for me there are so many reasons to keep the 8x. The wide fov and flat view provide a really immersive, almost dramatic view at longer distances, if that makes sense. And also great when following birds in flight, or even when not in flight, but at a distance. And easier to find birds, once you're looking through them, compared to the 10x, of course. Also, maybe psychological, but the 8x seem to have a warmer tone, which I like. In fact, it's probably just that they're somewhat brighter. And the depth of field is greater with the 8x. What else? When viewing garden birds, while the fov doesn't appear too different between the two if you study the edges to see what's included in the view, the 8x feel quite different and better for me - again, more immersive. Stunning, tbh. Both pairs are excellent (in my limited experience) but for me the 8x are astonishingly good.

Haven't tried them out yet for woodland birds, but I know they'll be more suitable than the 10x in that environment. I'm sure the 10x will be suitable for some, depending on what they use them for.

I now own three items which I think are marvels of design and build: NL Pure 8x32, a Sony A6400 camera, and several Samsung external T7 SSD drives.
Okay, I know the last two aren't optics, and I apologise. But all three are objects of beauty :) and do what they're supposed to do superbly. Btw, I don't really do much bird photography, more landscape.
It’s always difficult to choose between 8x and 10x especially when comparing the same model binoculars. There are differences in the image circle characteristic even when leaving out FOV. Some prefer the DOF, easier spotting and tracking, as well as a calmer easer to hold steady feeling. The 8’s also have a more immersive image feel , more like your inside instead of looking through. On the other hand some prefer the better reach of a 10x, it’s gets you right up close on the object and has a better framing of the object in the image circle. Some say it’s less distracting because of that thinner focus depth.

Also some people don’t necessarily notice these optically different characteristics between the 8x and 10x and just choose what feels better without understanding why they like one over the other. I think the more you use binoculars you come to enjoy the differences between the magnifications and the pros and cons of those characteristics. The differences become even greater when you compare the 7x and a 10x. You don’t necessarily notice much of a difference in magnification between the 7X and 8 like one does between the 8x and 10x, what stands more between 7 and 8 is the DOF and the feeling of so much more of the image circle is in focus, as well as having to focus much less.

All things being considered is why we need to have a few different magnification binos, if we’re to enjoy each ones beneficial characteristics. For me 7x and 8x by 30/32 works just fine under most observing conditions, when going up to the 10x is when I much prefer a 40/42. I think part of the reason (for me) is I don’t notice any difference in eye box positioning , both are similar when it comes putting them up to my eyes without fiddling around to get the right position, most likely due to the exit pupil being about the same. The problem (if you we want to call it a problem) for me is that different brands have different characteristics throughout their lines. This make me enjoy one magnification of one brand more than another. One example for me is I enjoy the 8x42 Noctivid more than the NL, but when I chose a 10x , I liked the NL better. Both of course are incredible beautiful Binoculars , but in this case certain characteristics and personalities (pros and cons) influence my decision.

Just my two cents.

Happy Easter.

Paul

Last edited:
Would you have the chances to compare the 8x32 with the 12x42 NL? If yes, let us know what do you think of it from 8x to 12x...
I probably won't get a chance - at least not over the next month or two - to try any 12x42 NL Pures. I did briefly quickly try the 8x42 a few months ago, and aside from anything else, such as fov, they were a little to heavy for me - though I'd possibly get used to that. Do you own the 12x42 NL?

In the same way that your 'everyday' binocular is now your 8x32 NL, my 'everyday' binocular is a 10x32 EL. Nice preloved examples come up for sale on a regular basis, and this would probably tick all your 10x boxes.

Others which I (personally) like very much which are not flat field but are wonderful binoculars, at midrange(ish) price, are Leica Trinovid HD 10x32/42 and Kowa Genesis 10x33/10.5x44. Not especially wide fields of view though, if this is important.
Thank you. I hadn't thought of pre-owned EL. Something I can consider. I'll look into Trinovid HD and Kowa later this week. fov not important, I was just going to get a 10x bin purely for use at home where there are distant views and on occasion a 10x may be handy for spotting far away birds.

I probably won't get a chance - at least not over the next month or two - to try any 12x42 NL Pures. I did briefly quickly try the 8x42 a few months ago, and aside from anything else, such as fov, they were a little to heavy for me - though I'd possibly get used to that. Do you own the 12x42 NL?
I have compared 12x42 and 8x32, 8x42. not own any just borrowed it.

12x42's 6.5 FOV feel like your using 10 power bin. Only NL can do such a magic at 12x42 aperture.

but optically. it's apparent brightness and contrast (less yellow tint) fell below 8powers

but If I have to choose between 8x42 and 12x42, I'll go for 12x42 because It is the only big 3 level bino that have more then 10 power at 42mm (except for leica duovid...)
though NL is the best bino in the market, you can replace yout 8x42, and 10x42 with other big3 such as victory HT, Leica NV.
but you can't replace 12x42 in high level exept NL

Since I feel 50mm is too big for daily birding, NL 12x42 is the only +10 power bino I can use on daily birding trip.

It’s always difficult to choose between 8x and 10x especially when comparing the same model binoculars. There are differences in the image circle characteristic even when leaving out FOV. Some prefer the DOF, easier spotting and tracking, as well as a calmer easer to hold steady feeling. The 8’s also have a more immersive image feel , more like your inside instead of looking through. On the other hand some prefer the better reach of a 10x, it’s gets you right up close on the object and has a better framing of the object in the image circle. Some say it’s less distracting because of that thinner focus depth.

Also some people don’t necessarily notice these optically different characteristics between the 8x and 10x and just choose what feels better without understanding why they like one over the other. I think the more you use binoculars you come to enjoy the differences between the magnifications and the pros and cons of those characteristics. The differences become even greater when you compare the 7x and a 10x. You don’t necessarily notice much of a difference in magnification between the 7X and 8 like one does between the 8x and 10x, what stands more between 7 and 8 is the DOF and the feeling of so much more of the image circle is in focus, as well as having to focus much less.

All things being considered is why we need to have a few different magnification binos, if we’re to enjoy each ones beneficial characteristics. For me 7x and 8x by 30/32 works just fine under most observing conditions, when going up to the 10x is when I much prefer a 40/42. I think part of the reason (for me) is I don’t notice any difference in eye box positioning , both are similar when it comes putting them up to my eyes without fiddling around to get the right position, most likely due to the exit pupil being about the same. The problem (if you we want to call it a problem) for me is that different brands have different characteristics throughout their lines. This make me enjoy one magnification of one brand more than another. One example for me is I enjoy the 8x42 Noctivid more than the NL, but when I chose a 10x , I liked the NL better. Both of course are incredible beautiful Binoculars , but in this case certain characteristics and personalities (pros and cons) influence my decision.

Just my two cents.

Happy Easter.

Paul
You sum it up perfectly. I've just spent another hour (a final one) comparing the 8x with the 10x, and am even more happy with my decision to keep the 8x. For my use, it has so many advantages, in comparison to the 10x. I've even started to love, in all situations and distances, the pretty wide fov. Bit of a cliche, but I have to say it's a joy to use.

I think the best way to feel FOV diffrence is to see bino with big FOV first then see smaller one. such as seeing NL 8 8x32 and then seeing CL 8x30

larger FOV can leads to more apparent brightess at night especially in the area with many light sources such as lamp post, windows...because it can show more light sources around then smaller FOV

I can't say bigger real fov is always better.
bigger fov pronounce more rolling ball if the didtortion rate is similar.
and just my opinion, have more trouble viewing the object I exactly want to view.
like I was lost in the huge FOV.
have felt that in NL 8x42 because it have too large well corrected real fov (but it's central sharpness and resolution is still among the best.)

and feel of the width also not only depends on numbers of FOV.
if the fov is same. bino with larger lens size feel more wider.
zeiss victory 8x25 and nikon 8x42 EDG has similar FOV but latter feel more immerse to many users

and high 3D rendering (combined with apatyer of lenses and distortion amount) lead to feel of width.

I think thats why many people feels 7x50 porro which usually have only around 50 AFOV not as narrow as stated.

Thanks for taking time post the images and your comments. Really interesting and enlightening to go through them and compare.

I had the 8x32 and 10x42 EL since 2013 then now with the 10x32 and 12x42 NL. Quite hard for me to get back to 8x and 10x after using the 12x42 because for my eyes, I am comfortable with its FOV, well balanced with my hands and the head rest helps a lot too for longer scanning. Not only myself, but at least 20 birders and bird guides tried the 12x42 in my place agreed about the outcome vs 8x and 12x...

Testing the 10x32 and 12x42 NL both with head rest...

IMG20240228174905.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back