• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP! Aperture Priority on CP990? (1 Viewer)

papasula

I have a Nikon E990 and have read about using aperture and shutter priority on these forums. Ihave followed the instructions in the manual (pressing the mode button while turning the wheel in manual mode) but all it does is change the focal distance! What am I missing?

TIA,

Steve

If you are in manual mode (the rotary switch surrounding the shutter button) pressing 'function button #1 and rotating the other rotary control will cycle through all the shotting modes.

In aperture priority, rotating the wheel will increase the f#.... but you should always keep this at the minimum f# (f4 at max camera zoom, f2.5 at min zoom). This setting will ensure you always get the fastest shutter-speed for the available light, which is vital for most digiscoping work.
Regards,
Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. My problem is this: I am doing exactly what you've laid out...the camera responds by manually focusing. The distance indicator changes. Could the previous owner have re-programmed the function? Is that possible on the E990?

papasula said:
Andy,

Thanks for the reply. My problem is this: I am doing exactly what you've laid out...the camera responds by manually focusing. The distance indicator changes. Could the previous owner have re-programmed the function? Is that possible on the E990?
Ah yes, that seems quite likely...I've just replicated the effect on my 990. If the previous owner used manual focus a lot, it's logical that he'd put the focus modes onto function button #1. Just go into the set-up menu, go into 'controls' and put function button #1 back to the top setting 'mode'.
Regards,
Andy

Andy Rocks!!!

Thanks! It worked!!! I am so excited now! Even though I'm about to put it up on eBay to get a 4500, I can still experiment now!

Thanks, oh great guru!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back