• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Day Out (1 Viewer)

George Garner

Hi Folks,
As I said recently I went to Rufford nand Clumber parks last Sunday, I have to say the weather was brilliant if a little cold, but my, it did feel good to be out and about again after the bad weather.
The birding was maybe a little slow but what we saw was good, we saw one of our target birds namely a Hawfinches, the Lesser spot didn't play so that will be left for another day, I think maybe I'm being a miserable say it was slow on counting up we had 43 species, we also did a little twitch and went to see the Velvet Scota though what it is doing so far from the sea I don't know. We also had good views of the Mandarin duck,all in all a most satisfying day.
George

Very good that you saw Hawfinches, and Velvet Scoter too! There are often Mandarins at the park when I visit my brother, pretty much the only time I see those and they're lovely birds to see. :t:

43 species is pretty decent for a winter day I reckon.

Hawfinch is a fab looking bird. And a scoter is also a good one. In the UK you get the common scoter which to be fair isnt that common , and velvet scoter is pretty rare.

They are both very handsome birds! I need a UK bird book but, for now will look them up on the web.

I think your Robin is more than charming!!!

They are both very handsome birds! I need a UK bird book but, for now will look them up on the web.

I think your Robin is more than charming!!!

A robin is such a little geem, so peachfull and so loud when its singing. Really is a bird you dont just ignore and for me every time I hear one or see one I take a few moments to just look at it or listen.

Ohhh! Thanks Kits! I did forget but then again I don't venture out into the BF much at all.

Your Robins look so pretty! From what I have read they are not exactly shy either. LOL. Our Robins are not shy either and the ones we hand raised can be a little. *pushy*. :)

Hi Folks,
Yes Paul I did see, Mandarins by the bridge where I have seen them before I think that seems to be there favoured place, don't know if they breed there or not
I agree with you Lydia our Robins can be very tame I have even had one feed out of my hand in woodland, some years ago now we had an American Robin over here and that one was not a bit bothered by people, unfortunately it wasn't to bothered by a Sparrow Hawk which was its undoing.
Yes a good days birding, and to be honest if I hadn't made arrangements with friends I might have stayed in bed and missed it. In the past I have had to travel to the coast to see Scoters,and being about as far as you can get from the coast in England isn't always easy.
I have to say it is nice to hear from you all and hope we can continue with our mini revival of ex beeb.
George

WOW! I had a Mourning Dove and a Black. Capped Chickadee (dee. dee)Take food from my hand. Birds are so trusting and sweet! If only we could see them as they are ... !

Sorry the Sparrow Hawk did in the Robin but ... The -Hawk needs to make a living too. Such is nature. .... sigh....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back