• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid Duck? China (1 Viewer)

xuky.summer

Recently, Shandong province, with some Garganey

Thank you

xuky

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 4..jpg
    4..jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 111
This doesn't look like RCP to me but like a hybrid Anas duck. The two-tone head is typical of a few hybrid combinations. This one reminds me both of some Gadwall x Mallard hybrids (although as it seems only slightly if at all larger than Garganey, that combination seems unlikely in this case) and of Blue-Winged x Green-winged/Eurasian Teal hybrids (especially with what looks like 2 patches of more tan/ochre kind of colour within the white part of the face - but I guess location makes BWT involvement unlikely (unless they are known as vagrants to China?)).

I couldn't find any pictures online of hybrids involving Garganey, but that could be a possibility - if Garganey is one parent, the other is likely to be something with a dark head (Mallard, Shoveler, Pintail, etc).

I have seen both mallard and pintail hybrids with a simlar head pattening. I think shoveller or blue wing teal hybrid x garganey as I would expect any drake ( from the face plumage I assums its a drake ) to show a blueish forewing. Baikal x garganey is a possability or perhaps more likely common teal x garganey. Like Steve I cant see any Red crested pochard features showing here. Such a hybrid I would expect to be larger.

Last edited:
Uh, wouldn't the secondaries color and pattern mean that Mallard or Common/Green-winged Teal has to be one of the parents? If the teal is, that would explain the black bill and the fairly limited white in the wing linings, so I vote for one parent being Anas crecca. The size of the bird suggests that the other parent is larger and the fairly sizable bill (along with its color) and the strong reddish aspect below might suggest Northern Shoveler as the other parent (and would solidify the black bill). However, I'd be leery of being too definitive about this one. As noted above, the face pattern does not provide any clues, as it is typical of Anas hybrids.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back