• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baer's pochard x ?????(hybrid), 2/3/23, Namyangju, South Korea (1 Viewer)

sandwich311

Helo,
I have this down on eBird as a Ferruginous duck x Baer's pochard hybrid but it is still unconfirmed.
What kind of hybrid do you think it is?
Thanks

Attachments

• Baer's pochard  hybrid.jpeg
    Baer's pochard hybrid.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 104
Do you have any more photos? i think a breeding plumage Baer's with reddish crown is strange.

The reddish crown doesn´t seem to be iridescence, but reddish brown feathers---something like you can see in several (butb not all) hybrids Tufted duck x Ferruinous duck

This is also interesting in that respect:

There is a Baer´s in there which still has a reddish brown head in december , but there the crown is the darkest part of the head.

I think this may be more difficult than it seems on first glance. Additionally Baer´s is one of the Aythyas where i do not have much experience, and this complicates matters further for me ...
Also, as far as I know, Aythya hybrids are fertile and backcrosses with either parent species are possible... so would a Baer´s with a reddish-brown crown have some Ferruginous duck genes from way back or is that a trait occuring also in pure Baer´s Pochard?

Birds seen as probable Ferruginous x Baer´s:

Thanks for your help. Here are a couple more pictures of the same bird. I also notice that the white on the flank isn't as strong. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Attachments

• Baer's pochard x possible Ferruginous duck hybrid 2.jpeg
    Baer's pochard x possible Ferruginous duck hybrid 2.jpeg
    815.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Baer's pochard x possible Ferruginous duck hybrid.jpeg
    Baer's pochard x possible Ferruginous duck hybrid.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10

This bird by Pete Morris from Martin Mere is rather close to your bird, with rufous on crown and reduced white on fore flank, but I do not think that your bird or the Martin Mere bird are first generation crosses- in that case I think they should be more intermediate. So possibly backcrosses of Baer´s x Ferruginous duck to Baer´s?

For comparison I think the bird in this link would be a first generation hybrid Baer's x Ferruginous duck:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back