• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A very ''grey''......Common Redstart? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Taken last week in Cyprus, Paphos headland....comments welcome.

Cheers

Attachments

• A nother grey Redstart, Paphos, April'15.jpg
    A nother grey Redstart, Paphos, April'15.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 215
  • A Redstart yes..but which one..jpg
    A Redstart yes..but which one..jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 231
Ken, no plumage characters (including "squareness" of tail) can be be used in the field to tell the age of female Redstarts........ and hardly any in the hand at this time of the year for that matter.

To my knowledge any perceived "greyness" or "brownness" is caused by light conditions/, quality of photo (in this case impaired by strong direct sunlight) and individual variation/degree of wear rather than being an age related factual change from "grey" to "brown"......

If you have evidence of the opposite, do by all means enlighten me......(but please without distorting my True Colours;))

Peter

Last edited:
Ken, no plumage characters (including "squareness" of tail) can be be used in the field to tell the age of female Redstarts........ and hardly any in the hand at this time of the year for that matter.

To my knowledge any perceived "greyness" or "brownness" is caused by light conditions/, quality of photo (in this case impaired by strong direct sunlight) and individual variation/degree of wear rather than being an age related factual change from "grey" to "brown"......

If you have evidence of the opposite, do by all means enlighten me......(but please without distorting my True Colours;))

Peter

With the naked eye this bird was seen to have obvious grey upper-parts (not a vestige of brown!), there being no photo artefact/distortion to the images supplied, the second image is clearly in shadow....I have never seen a grey-backed Common Redstart before looking like this bird (and I've seen a few), hence the post! One might be forgiven for momentarily confusing it with Black Redstart, something I've never had cause to consider in the UK.

Cheers

Would this be of race Samamisicus?? Maybe that's why it seems more grey than the ones we get in Britain?

Certainly unusual by UK standards, the previous Cyprus C.Redstarts that I'd seen were as P.phoenicurus irrespective of gender, so perhaps as you suggest Tim, a different race?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back