• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Double Doublers (1 Viewer)

danhdz

Hi folks,

I have an 8.5 EL, the doubler, and the tripod adaptor thing. It makes a good, light, little scope. I had the idea last night of getting another doubler so that now I would have a pair of high-powered bins too. I looked at the instruction manual for the doubler and there is a diagram showing this set up (2 doublers) with an "X" through it. Presumably this means that this should not be done. I, however, don't see why not; the doubler screws into both eyepieces equally well, the threads look pretty sturdy and since the focus is internal (in the bin) there are no moving parts to get strained.

So, has anyone tried this setup? And/or does anyone see any reason why this would be ill-advised or wouldn't work?

Many Thanks,

Dan

danhdz said:
Hi folks,

I have an 8.5 EL, the doubler, and the tripod adaptor thing. It makes a good, light, little scope. I had the idea last night of getting another doubler so that now I would have a pair of high-powered bins too. I looked at the instruction manual for the doubler and there is a diagram showing this set up (2 doublers) with an "X" through it. Presumably this means that this should not be done. I, however, don't see why not; the doubler screws into both eyepieces equally well, the threads look pretty sturdy and since the focus is internal (in the bin) there are no moving parts to get strained.

So, has anyone tried this setup? And/or does anyone see any reason why this would be ill-advised or wouldn't work?

Many Thanks,

Dan

For fun I tried a thing like this by simply placing a pair of 2.3X Russian opera glasses behind the eyepieces of my EL's and some other bins. It did work, producing a very narrow field (10 degrees AFOV) but well enough collimated image of about 20X in the EL. Collimation will probably be a problem with two Swaro doublers, however, since they will not be collimated relative to each other as my opera glass barrels are. The apparent field will also be narrow as you can see from the doubler you already have, and there is the time and trouble involved to install and remove the things in the field.

I think the Zeiss 3X12 opera glass is about the same thing optically as two of their 3X boosters put together. Might be interesting to try that.

Last edited:
danhdz said:
Hi folks,

Many Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I had the same idea as you and so I asked Swarovski and Zeiss about it on a birding fair. Both said clear that it doesn´t work and they wouldn´t recommend it. The problem is to get a coherent image when watching with both eyes caused by collimation problems and by a too narrow field of view. So I didn´t try this any further.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back