• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dublin Birding (1 Viewer)

Peter, Thanks for putting the snaps on the site; I'll ship you some more images tomorrow.
When the LTT were there two years ago I got some nice images of them and will include them.
Regards,
Joe

Peter, Thanks for putting the snaps on the site; I'll ship you some more images tomorrow.
When the LTT were there two years ago I got some nice images of them and will include them.
Regards,
Joe
Here they are......in happier times.

Attachments

• 4- Long Tailed Tit no 1.jpg
    4- Long Tailed Tit no 1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 4- Long Tailed Tit no 2.jpg
    4- Long Tailed Tit no 2.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 4- Long Tailed Tits no 3.jpg
    4- Long Tailed Tits no 3.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
and a few more....where was the gull juv pic taken?

Attachments

• 4- Gull juv.jpg
    4- Gull juv.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 4- Bl  Backed Gull  Irelands Eye.jpg
    4- Bl Backed Gull Irelands Eye.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 4- Chat.jpg
    4- Chat.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 121
Peter, The Juv Gull was standing on the trawl gear of a fishing trawler in Skerries. Taken about 3rd week September 2005. Got a nice image of a Turnstone feeding on the big ropes used for tying up the trawlers the same morning. Joe

Attachments

• Turnstone no 1.jpg
    Turnstone no 1.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 105
Peter

Excellent selection of photos from Joe. These treads are becoming addictive.

Which County tread will you start next conquering from the pale out west, Meath, Wicklow, Monaghan, Cavan.
Tom

Last edited:
Peter
Excellent selection of photos. Theses treads are becoming addictive.

Which County tread will you start next conquering from the pale out west, Meath, Wicklow, Monaghan, Cavan.
Tom

There are enough birds recorded in Wicklow to have two threads! I think Kilcoole could have one all of its own. Dick Coombes is out, I think, twice a day at Kilcoole and has some great photos.

It will just take time.

Tom,
For the LTT I used a 70 to 200mm Image Stab. Nikon F2.8 lens on a Nikon D200.
For other focal length I have have various Nikon lens depending on need.
All the stuff I do nowadays is Digital.
Regards,
Joe

All the stuff I do nowadays is Digital.

Lovely work Joe - last time we spoke I think you were still using film; you had lovely shots of "Stumpy" at the time!! Throw one of them up if you still have it.

Meantime one of the north County's emblematic birds (for time being anyway) attached. IIRC you located one of the nests the first year they bred in Dublin?

Dave

Attachments

• BZRD060208.jpg
    BZRD060208.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 162
Hi Dave, Guess I'm still using the walking boots you 'salved' for me on Cape. Ì Like your image of the Buzzard, sadly they are not just as plentiful in my patch due to the restoration of the gravel quarry, but give it two or three years and normal service will resume. The Stumpy I recall was a Ringed Plover, which was on slide and I never digitized it(yet?). In the meantime I attach a new stumpy, and it really has a short leg. The leg did not seem to bother it at all and it was in the garden for just about 15 months. Regards,
Joe

Attachments

• Tit with stumpy leg .jpg
    Tit with stumpy leg .jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 155
Red-Necked Grebe

There's a gorgeous RN Grebe at Poolbeg today (found yesterday by Noel Keogh). It's viewable from the South Wall, just walk out till you're about opposite the Green Lighthouse at the North Wall. It's feeding in the area in front of the Yellow Baths and large Red-roofed house (or club, or whatever) on the Northern side. Spends a lot of time underwater, so hard to pick up, bring a zoom or high-mag eyepiece 'cos it can be quite a distance, but giving great if intermittent views.

There's a gorgeous RN Grebe at Poolbeg today (found yesterday by Noel Keogh). It's viewable from the South Wall, just walk out till you're about opposite the Green Lighthouse at the North Wall. It's feeding in the area in front of the Yellow Baths and large Red-roofed house (or club, or whatever) on the Northern side. Spends a lot of time underwater, so hard to pick up, bring a zoom or high-mag eyepiece 'cos it can be quite a distance, but giving great if intermittent views.

Nice shots Joe and Dave.

Glad you got the bird Sancho. Red necked Grebe is one of my many boggy birds. There seems to be one or two wintering in Dundalk Bay the last number of years but I have not caught up with them yet. Hopefully it sticks around, but I dont think I will get down that far for a look. Unless I take a long lunch on Sunday..............

Would it be easier to view from North Bull side?

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I think this post illustrates the advantage of BF for exchanging bird info. For instance, you can post descriptions and detailed directions, a photo, even a google map reference - particularly good for long staying birds that drop off the BINS radar (though not a replacement for BINS 1550111700, especially when you have no access to a computer).

particularly good for long staying birds that drop off the BINS radar (though not a replacement for BINS 1550111700, especially when you have no access to a computer).

..or good day birds (non-BINS) such as Dipper or good-for-site birds like the one below which I had 9 of yesterday locally. Only my second record of Purple Sand here...

Attachments

• Purpsand060208_2.JPG
    Purpsand060208_2.JPG
    220.5 KB · Views: 161
BINS is reporting a possible Laughing Gull at Dun Laoghaire baths today. I'll check it out tomorrow (as I'm sure far more competent folk will), and post what I find.

Dipper on Delvin River, possibly head in Dublin & tail In Meath as this is the border between the two counties,
Joe

Attachments

• Dipper .jpg
    Dipper .jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Dipper no 1.jpg
    Dipper no 1.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 161
  • Curlew.jpg
    Curlew.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back