• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon lens to spotting scope conversion (1 Viewer)

Jim Lundberg

Has anyone seen an eyepice to attach to a Canon lens to convert it to a spotting scope? I googled some like convertors for Nikon, but no Canon.
Jim

Any 1.25" eyepiece will fit but you need to fabricate an eye piece holder. Begin with a rear lens cover. Go to Home Depot or other source of PVC plumbing parts(1.25 inch inside diameter desired). Modify PVC part as required. Drill appropriate hole in lens cover. Attach PVC 1.25 eyepiece holder to lens cover after determining proper distance needed to provide infinity focus capability. This should get you started. By the way, a 1.25" bathroom sink drain extension tube is a great way to begin as it is perfect for 1.25 inch eyepieces and offers a compression fitting as well. I find that the brand name glue called "Welder" that is available from Wal-Mart is great for bonding the parts.

Last edited:
Brilliant idea! does it work? and would it work with a Sigma 50-500mm lens? if so i'm off out to the workshop tomorrow :cool:
Cheers
Brian

This procedure should work with any camera lens having a rear lens cap. I first did it a long time ago with a Nikon 180 f2.8. It worked great. Just make sure that you center the eyepiece holder on the optical axis.

Last edited:
I think that the image you get using this ,method will be upside down.
You need the necessary prisms to get the image the right way up & correctly orientated. There may be sufficent room to do this behind a tele lens, but I doubt it.

I think that the image you get using this ,method will be upside down.
You need the necessary prisms to get the image the right way up & correctly orientated. There may be sufficent room to do this behind a tele lens, but I doubt it.
Looks like i will be standing on my head! 9-)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back