• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Octarem Adjustments (1 Viewer)

Hello James

Yes, I have already read Holger Merlitz's comparison tests of binoculars, I especially analyzed tests of binoculars made in the last few decades, for me the binoculars of producers like CZJ Jena, West Zeiss or Leica, which were made at the duration of 1980-1995 have been great products because of its high quality at all, from good quality optics to perfectly made mechanical systems. Todays very expansive binoculars of well known producers are more ergonomic and have very high quality optics, but most todays very expansive binoculars are not sufficiently reliable in mechanical systems and general finishing as binoculars made in two last decades, it is because todays products approved cheaper materials...

Zeiss Jena at the 1980s with introducing Octarem/Dodecarem series have made a big step forward, those binoculars could successfully compete with West Zeiss binoculars and other well known products...

Well, as I have read many opinions, there are some fans, who technically compare Octarem/Dodecarem with standard CZ Jena products like Jenoptem/ Dekarem, but they are mistaken in that comparison. The Carl Zeiss Jena Catalog from 1990 gives the prices of their binoculars in German older currency DM. Below I present the passage with prices from CZ Jena catalog presented on Holger Merlitz's web page:
"Anmerkung: Zusammen mit dem Katalog fanden wir noch einige Preise (um 1990): Octarem 8x50: 798 DM, Dodecarem 12x50: 898 DM, 7x50 und 10x50 (mit Einzelokularverstellung): 379DM, Notarem 10x40 (beledert oder gummiert): 798 DM, Notarem 8x32: 695 DM".

Comparing the prices one can see that Octarem/Dodecarem series have been completely new designed product than older Jenoptem/Dekarem...they were offered as much more expansive...

Octarem 8x50B model I also had and they are great universal binoculars, but I gave them as a present to my nephew...
Currently I have two models of Dodecarem series which I bought years ago while staying and working in Germany. One is completely stocked brand new in original store box, the other which is presented in my above links was offered a few weeks ago on ebay and did not sell, they has been very little used with very well preserved and act and look perfectly.

More fun with that reliable and still good quality level Zeiss Jena binoculars :t:

Hi Slawo112,
Owned a Docter 12x50BGA, the post reunification version of this glass, can only second that it is a wonderful binocular.
Razor sharp image and quite bright.
Not a featherweight, but quality optics. A harness helped insure all day long happy birding.

materials...

Well, as I have read many opinions, there are some fans, who technically compare Octarem/Dodecarem with standard CZ Jena products like Jenoptem/ Dekarem, but they are mistaken in that comparison. The Carl Zeiss Jena Catalog from 1990 gives the prices of their binoculars in German older currency DM. Below I present the passage with prices from CZ Jena catalog presented on Holger Merlitz's web page:
"Anmerkung: Zusammen mit dem Katalog fanden wir noch einige Preise (um 1990): Octarem 8x50: 798 DM, Dodecarem 12x50: 898 DM, 7x50 und 10x50 (mit Einzelokularverstellung): 379DM, Notarem 10x40 (beledert oder gummiert): 798 DM, Notarem 8x32: 695 DM".

Comparing the prices one can see that Octarem/Dodecarem series have been completely new designed product than older Jenoptem/Dekarem...they were offered as much more expansive...

:

Thanks for sharing the 1990 prices - very interesting, indeed. I bought my 8 x 50B Octarem new, complete with gorgeous brown leather hard case, all in a Zeiss West copycat white styrofoam container with a "first quality" sticker (1Q) stuck on the outside of the box. In my experience and opinion, it's a fantastic binocular with amazing detail resolution, hobbled only by its dated T3M multicoating, and I'm glad I have held onto it over the years. I have, however, no such affection for the 10 x 40 Notarem, listed at the same 798DM price, which offered neither competitive for the period optical performance nor (and perhaps more importantly) reliable build quality.

Last edited:
Hi Slawo112,
Owned a Docter 12x50BGA, the post reunification version of this glass, can only second that it is a wonderful binocular.
Razor sharp image and quite bright.
Not a featherweight, but quality optics. A harness helped insure all day long happy birding.

Hi Etudiant,

Docter 12x50BGA are high quality binoculars worked out on the basis of Zeiss Jena Dodecarem 12x50B. Docter Optic resigned from producing that wonderful quality, both optically and mechanically porro system binoculars 12x50, and now there is lack on todays market professional porro binoculars of 12x50. The porro binos of 12x50 which are available on todays market are usual standard, not high quality...The only porro model on the market comparable by quality to Dodecarem/Docter 12x50 are Nikon 12x50 SE...

Regards
Slawomir

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the 1990 prices - very interesting, indeed. I bought my 8 x 50B Octarem new, complete with gorgeous brown leather hard case, all in a Zeiss West copycat white styrofoam container with a "first quality" sticker (1Q) stuck on the outside of the box. In my experience and opinion, it's a fantastic binocular with amazing detail resolution, hobbled only by its dated T3M multicoating, and I'm glad I have held onto it over the years. I have, however, no such affection for the 10 x 40 Notarem, listed at the same 798DM price, which offered neither competitive for the period optical performance nor (and perhaps more importantly) reliable build quality.

Hi Chartwell99,

Congratulations on having fantastic Octarem 8x50B. I had that binoculars a few years ago. They are professional binoculars and master in wide field of view:t:
I think that the only binoculars with comparable quality are rare Carl Zeiss 8x50 Nobilem Super.
In my opinion Notarem price presented in Zeiss catolog is too high, they are not as reliable construction as Octarem and Dodecarem...

Regards
slawomir

I still miss my Octarems. However, on an impulse, I bought a pair of Swarovski 8x30 SLCs to take on holiday recently. Being relativly compact, I found they went almost everywhere with me - which was not the case with the big Octarems.

The end result of that was having them with me just when two otters decided to come out to play at a spot where we'd stopped to look at a geological feature (Kilt Rock, on Skye) and where otters weren't mentioned as a "tourist feature". The Octarems would have been left in the car as they wouldn't have been thought necessary.

All that said, they were lovely glasses. Mike

For the record, a Carl Zeiss Jena 8x50BGA Octarem has just sold on UK eBay for £400. I mention this in order to reinforce yet again (but for the final time!) how this epic optic has maintained its value/price despite being a quarter of a century old. Much the same may be said of the Zeiss (West) 10x40BGAT, just as bulletproof and a legend in its own lifetime. I rest my case...

How can I tell if I have fake 8x50B Octarems? There is no serial number. That makes me suspicious.

There would not be a fake of this binocular model.

The important thing is condition. I suppose you have to do
your careful inspection, and get an assurance and return privilege
from the seller.

Good luck.

Jerry

I just bought a pair of 8x50b Octarem but feel they're fake. No serial number. What else can I look at to tell if they're genuine or fake?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back