• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss victory pocket 8x25: occasional very strong flat green veiling? (1 Viewer)

mbb

When using the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25, I can get some strange 'veiling'(?) when I look up into the trees, with, as I start looking more upwards, the contrast strongly dropping and the fresh green of the leaves in the trees turning into some kind of paler/bland green. (And I am a bit colour blind, thus I'm not talking about a very subtle change of green ;-).)

The strange thing is that it seems perfectly uniform across the view (no spot, or crescent part of the view,it's almost as if there was a uniform filter being turned on as I tilt the binoculars upwards) and that I don't have that I think with any of my other binoculars (e.g. UV 8x32 HD, or FL 8x32 or 7x42, or even the small Swarovski 8x20, which does have a bit more glare than the other ones, but in reasonable amount and not surprisingly considering a.o.its small player exit pupil).
Otherwise, the view throughout the Zeiss 8x25 is often very(!) impressive (though not as 'relaxed' as in e.g.the 7x42, of course), especially for its size. Still, that kind of 'veiling'(or should I call it differenly?) has sometimes considerably bothered me.

Has any owner of the VP 8x25 experienced the same thing? Is that to be expected from this model?

They get praised for their optics, and I would tend to agree, but this is one 'issue' making me considering selling it to fund a Swarovski 7x21 (I know it's a different size). But I first would like to hear about it from other users first.

mbb,

Maybe an expert will weigh in on this. In the meantime I just now tested the VP 8x25, Curio and Zeiss 7x42 (without glasses) looking form eye level to high up into nearby pine trees viewing close to the strong afternoon sun and yes with each there was the slight glare and washout of the bright green colors uniformly across the FOV as I looked higher and closer to the sun. I'm not an expert but would describe this as, and would guess it is caused by, "veiling glare". The Curio and VP were the same while the 7x42 FL may have been slightly better. I would describe this in all three as "noticeable" but not "strong" to my eyes.

Looking in the opposite direction away from the sun none of the three showed this as I moved from eye level on up to the tree tops. Were you looking close to the direction of the sun when you observed this? As you have probably read, not everyone gets along with the eye placement and eye relief of the VP which could also contribute to this.

Mike

I do think it is hard to tell, if just making a declaration of one observation up into some green tree branches.
So, that means not sure why you even posted such, and you are color blind, even makes it more hilarious........
Jerry

I own a set of VP 8x25 and this is you getting DANGEROUSLY close to the sun.

* DANGEROUSLY CLOSE *

As in 'stop doing that', type of close.

Want to know how I know about this 'veiling'? Because an idiot tried to show me how big and clever they were and could 'induced veiling glare' 'because it was present' and they were big and clever.

I do think it is hard to tell, if just making a declaration of one observation up into some green tree branches.
So, that means not sure why you even posted such, and you are color blind, even makes it more hilarious........
Jerry
If it was just a 1 time observation, I would not have reported it and asked if others also encountered it. If I have time this weekend I could probably just reproduce it agaìn, but I wonder why unless there is a lead from someone on something to check to understand why or mitigate it: it is the tree behind our back yard, the one I've looked at most through my binoculars ;)
Also, I'm not colour blind to the level of not seeing colours,it's daltonism,causing difficulty sometimes in discerning or naming some specific colours correctly. In the worst case, it would mean that I call it "green" but somebody else would call it a bit of a different colour. Daltonism won't make me see something that isn't there. (It rather would have the opposite risk, of me not seeing something that others would see by me not discerning a specific colour difference.) Thus actually, if my daltonisme would have any impact here, it would, at max, be me giving it a wrong colour name and/or seeing lèss veiling than someone else would... For once, it would be to my benefit. Which would be hilarious 😆
I own a set of VP 8x25 and this is you getting DANGEROUSLY close to the sun.

* DANGEROUSLY CLOSE *

As in 'stop doing that', type of close.

Want to know how I know about this 'veiling'? Because an idiot tried to show me how big and clever they were and could 'induced veiling glare' 'because it was present' and they were big and clever.
It was not while looking dangerously close to the sun at all: it started already pointing way lower. I wouldn't take that risk. I am actually quite light sensitive and well aware of those risks, thus I don't take them. (Not saying there isn't the risk of, in the action of wanting to 'catch' in the binoculars a bird suddenly flying by, to forget about it, but I don't ever remember having it happened to the point of being 'too late' stopping to pan.)

I'm not bashing on an otherwise great set of binoculars. (I haven't sold it yet, testimony of me still thinking they are great (apart from that specific thing). It is not as problematic as the glare in e.g.the Habicht, and totally different.) I am genuinely wondering if I'm the only one who has encountered this (more/differently than with other binoculars), and/or if I'm doing something wrong regarding eye positioning (for this particular model...).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back