• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (73 Viewers)

Took the family to The Deep at Hull yesterday. Its motto is 'For Conservation, not profit.' Shame the idiots at YWT dont follow this motto, absolutely appalled and gutted by the councils decision (which makes no sense what so ever). YWT wont ever get a penny out of me. Could effectively rant about this for ever, but the only thing we can do is try to fund an appeal - crowd funding anyone?

Only developers have the right of appeal against planning decisions objectors have never had that right . Even if it had been refused again the government can call it in and over rule the decision which is what happens if the locals don't make the "right" decision, all part of the rigged system.

Phil

Thanks guys - just starting to return to Earth today. Luck played a very big part in things. I arrived at the wrong time - the bird had been on view for 20 -30 minutes but had left by then so when I was chatting to the guy walking away from the raptor viewpoint I was a little narked to have been too late - arriving at the viewpoint the fellas were watching something high and to the right - I thought goshawk as there was no way the eagle was back. Thanks to one of the guys giving a running commentary on the birds movements I was able to zone in and get a little happy. A barn door in the scope at 2 or 3 miles is a big bird, when it's less than half a mile and you're using 8 x 42 bins it's a monster - you could say I was gobsmacked. White tail feathers catching the sunlight - fantastic. Sadly I'd only 2-3 minutes of watching the bird before it disappeared to the South East. Sort of took the edge of the cracking goshawk sightings I got soon after from there.
Linda - not holiday - just a rest day from work spent doing what I like.

Old Fall and New Fall are one and the same - no idea why it has both names.
The plantation has always been called Old Fall as it is named on certainly older walking maps. New Fall is actually where the path meets the cliff top by the sea they just got the sign wrong.
There used to be some lettering stuck over the word "New" but it has fallen off.
Permissive paths such as the "Motorway" are all going under the plough. The stewardship scheme has not been renewed and so access will be much more restricted on the head next year and birding all the poorer for it. One or two locals will have permission to enter the fields but there will be no general access.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Only just seen this as I don't get on here much nowadays. Is there any more info with regard to which paths will be lost? All sounds rather dire!!

Cheers,

Dave.

Concerning the Friends of Spurn Observatory: I'd be very glad to join now that I've cencelled my YWT Direct Debit, but it seems the only way to pay is by cheque? I don't think many people have cheque books nowadays, and I certainly haven't seen mine for several years. Is it possible to join in person anywhere for cash next time I am on site?

Concerning the Friends of Spurn Observatory: I'd be very glad to join now that I've cencelled my YWT Direct Debit, but it seems the only way to pay is by cheque? I don't think many people have cheque books nowadays, and I certainly haven't seen mine for several years. Is it possible to join in person anywhere for cash next time I am on site?

I did last year and paid in cash as I had the same issue. Just went to Kew and knocked on the door.

Absolutely, Call in at Kew (the small cottage next to the pub) or ask any one of the regulars you see with a radio, and they'll point you in the right direction

Lesser spotted Woodpecker at Golden acre Cafe today at 11am.

I saw a Woodpecker moving up a tree from a fair distance so I assume great spotted. I didn't have my binoculars.

When the bird got near the top of the tree if flew off in my direction and I could clearly see it was only sparrow sized. Very noticeable undulating flight.

Only the 2nd one I have seen in this country. The other one was a couple of years ago in a garden in Arthington

You can pay by standing order.

Pied flys are putting on a good show at Bolton Abbey - east side of the Strid between Cavendish Bridge and the Viaduct should net at least 4 singing males

Good to hear, I'm off work from 1st May for a week and I'm planning to go. Probably a bit early for wood warblers but I've got jury service the following weeks so I had to re-jig my annual leave.

Owls favourite fence

I've seen these 3 species of owl on the same fence in North yorkshire. Obviously not at the same time.

It must be a good hunting area for them.

Attachments

• IMG_9437.jpg
    IMG_9437.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 87
Last year we scored with wood warblers in the first week of May - the other side of the river though above the bodgers place.
Good to hear, I'm off work from 1st May for a week and I'm planning to go. Probably a bit early for wood warblers but I've got jury service the following weeks so I had to re-jig my annual leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back