• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cliffe Pools Sunday 25th July Morning (1 Viewer)

pauljones

My second trip to Cliffe and first off I want to say thank you to the birder on the first viewing mound who helped with all the ids, in particular the two Curlew Sands. His knowledge, patience and expertise made my time at Cliffe so much more enjoyable and rewarding, it was only as I drove away I realised I didn’t get his name. So to him and all experienced birders who today helped those of us still struggling with the difference between a Dunlin and any other small wader THANK YOU.

So what did I see? The star’s were a couple of Curlew Sandpipers and the rest in no particular order:
Dunlin (>40 I didn’t try to count)
Black-tailed Godwit (>40 I didn’t try to count these either)
Common Sandpiper (1)
Knot (2)
Shelduck (1)
Avocet (15 ish)
Little Egret (7)
Mallard
Golden Plover (1)
Redshank (2)

Please don't take this as a complete list of what was at Cliffe today as it's likely I missed whole flocks. I also popped into the Sevenoaks Wildfowl Trust on the way home and saw a Green Sandpiper, which was nice.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I am glad you enjoyed the trip and you can see why it was well worth saving and things can only get better. The little egrets actually breed nearby at Northward Hill (also RSPB) although access is not easy to that site at present. There is a coastal path along the Thames and this is well worth checking out if you have plenty of time, especially at low tide and now that the waders are moving.

Ian Peters said:
The little egrets actually breed nearby at Northward Hill (also RSPB) although access is not easy to that site at present.
I attended an open day at Northward Hill during the Airport campaign. Although they are fairly distant (for obvious reasons) the views of the herons and egrets in the treetops are fantastic. Go if you get the chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back