• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador trip in June/July (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
My parents, siblings and I are planning to go to Ecuador for 10 days in late June and early July.
Looking for suggestions on where in the country to go. I am the only birder in the family and this is my first trip to South America so I'm sure I can get plenty of lifers anywhere. Are there particular areas you all would recommend especially for a group who are not all into birding. Our family spent many years in Asia, and our preferred vacations are ones at rural guesthouses not fancy resorts so that could maybe help tailor suggestions.

Also wondering if I should go with the Helm field guide for Ecuador or are there better options?

I'm excited about this trip and will finally cross 1000 species although unfortunately a bit late of my goal of having 1000 before I turned 21. Somewhat daunted though as well because South American birds I probably know the least well of any set of birds

Mindo is maybe the most obvious place to base yourself. It's a fairly touristic town, so the rest of the family should find things to do. There are also lots of places to stay. I'd recommend Yellow House, which also has good trails so you would have plenty of birds that you can see on foot. It's nice accommodation and very good value.

My parents, siblings and I are planning to go to Ecuador for 10 days in late June and early July.
Looking for suggestions on where in the country to go. I am the only birder in the family and this is my first trip to South America so I'm sure I can get plenty of lifers anywhere. Are there particular areas you all would recommend especially for a group who are not all into birding. Our family spent many years in Asia, and our preferred vacations are ones at rural guesthouses not fancy resorts so that could maybe help tailor suggestions.

Also wondering if I should go with the Helm field guide for Ecuador or are there better options?

I'm excited about this trip and will finally cross 1000 species although unfortunately a bit late of my goal of having 1000 before I turned 21. Somewhat daunted though as well because South American birds I probably know the least well of any set of birds
Not a great time for many parts of the country as it's (e.g.) very dry in the south. However, the range of hills that runs parallel with the coast traps moisture and exhibits a "reversed" seasonality so those months are wetter there and you'll find more activity. Head west from Puerto Lopez, and take the opportunity to go to Isla de la plata. Humpbacks are breaching at that time, there should be boobies, albatross etc there.

The helm guide seems a reasonable choice. You might also consider the Peru guide in addition (if thinking of going there at some point). Other good choices are birds of Northern South America, the ridgely Ecuador guide. In all cases, I strongly advise electronic versions or alternatively a short course in weight lifting as preparation

Thanks for the input thus far! Mindo does look like a good option.

How would a place like this be for birding in June/July?
It is one option the family is considering

Thanks for the input thus far! Mindo does look like a good option.

How would a place like this be for birding in June/July?
It is one option the family is considering

Here's the Ebird list for the main lodge, so probably similar things down the river:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back