• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Auchenorrhyncha for ID (1 Viewer)

pdwinter

Paul Winter
I've never looked at or photographed these insects before. After hours looking through the British Bugs gallery I thought the first might be Philaenus spumarius Common Froghopper and the other from the Cicadellidae family (leafhoppers) but these are both wild guesses!

Any help gratefully received, Paul

Attachments

• 600D_20107.jpg
    600D_20107.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 600D_20076.jpg
    600D_20076.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 62
I think you need to look at the leafhoppers, froghoppers don't have so many spines along the hind leg.

Some of those half way down the leafhoppers page - Euscalis, Macustus - look similar but I haven't got time to go through them and decide which

I think you need to look at the leafhoppers, froghoppers don't have so many spines along the hind leg.

Some of those half way down the leafhoppers page - Euscalis, Macustus - look similar but I haven't got time to go through them and decide which

Thanks for looking, Salticus.

I've stopped being lazy and have printed off some keys from the ledra site ! I was looking at a LEDRA newsletter and see that, with experience, I'll only be able to ID about 40% of species without a microscope.

Paul

Thanks for looking, Salticus.

I've stopped being lazy and have printed off some keys from the ledra site ! I was looking at a LEDRA newsletter and see that, with experience, I'll only be able to ID about 40% of species without a microscope.

Paul

Can you send me a link to the keys please Paul?

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back