• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lots of stuff - possible lifer - Wilson's warbler?; Gadwall & Green-winged teal? - South Florida (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

OK - I think I may have guessed out some of these IDs, but want to be sure - most of these are species I don't see too often, and most of these are females which are a little harder for me to ID - plus one bird that was ID'd in the field by another photographer would be a lifer for me - but I wanted to make sure that ID was correct!

1. First, here's the bird that was ID'd as Wilson's warbler - this would not be a common bird down here at all...and this one is a little more difficult because it's a likely female or juvie, without the black cap:
original.jpg

2. Next is another female - this time a duck. I was finding dozens of blue winged teals in this spot, but there were two females that looked slightly different - I guessed these might be green winged teals:
original.jpg

C9CD7C3BF5014EB78A104010F7DFB2D1.jpg

3. Finally, I think both of these next shots may be gadwalls. I'm not as familiar with them, having only seen them once before - the one I saw last time was a male - and it seemed close to the darker first duck here, while the second had a similar chest pattern but lighter overall, so female?
original.jpg

original.jpg

Many thanks to all who can help confirm the above, or correct me if wrong. It's nearly midnight here Florida time, so I may only be online another few minutes - if I don't reply back to any IDs right away, it's probably because I went to bed!

Many thanks to both. That's good news - mainly for that Wilson's warbler which is s first sighting for me. Always love to add new lifers to the list, and it gets harder and harder after 18 years of birding down here.
And on the ducks, those are only my second gadwalls, and the green winged teals I've seen a dozen or so times, but can go 2-3 years between sightings...so all in all, a good day.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back