• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chandler S. Robbins amazing bins (1 Viewer)

The great man did not use an advanced or expensive binocular like us conoisseurs on here (what can be the close focus distance on that thing?) but here is something to cheer us up.

The Wikipedia article on Robbins (linked by Henry in post #18) has this: "...wrote Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification with Bertel Bruun and Herbert S. Zim (illustrated by Arthur Singer) in 1966[...it...]introduced innovative two-page spreads that integrated text, illustrations, range maps and silhouettes. Tracking the advances in optics available to birders, the book presented a wider range of plumages, in more color and detail, than previous guidebooks..." A footnote there leads to one of those fantastic text and pics articles that the computer and internet brings us instantly at a click, on North American field guides, by Laura Erickson. She says: "...the first field guide to be published in the United States, as far as I can tell, was...Florence Merriam Bailey's Birds Through an Opera Glass, published by Houghton Mifflin in 1889."

The beautiful Hamlyn Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe 1970, now in its nth edition, has in common with that 1966 Guide a major author, Bruun and the illustrator, Singer, and acknowledges Robbins, and Zim, in its Preface.

Interesting note about the leather on Chandler Robbin's Binoculars

On Wednesday, I posted about Chandler Robbins on my blog: <http://blog.lauraerickson.com/2017/03/chandler-robbins-19182017.html>

Interestingly, one of the comments I got last night seems to explain that leather on them.

>The late Chandler S. Robbins was my friend and mentor in banding birds in Puerto Rico. When he told me that the plastic cover on his binoculars had worn off and that they felt very cold in winter, I redid the cover with leather, which lasted for the rest of his life with the wear that shows in the photos. Every Christmas I received his seasons letter and I've saved them after savoring his adventures of the year. One of the gentlest persons I've ever met in my life. My wife and I will miss him, but will remember our adventures together and he will live through his legacy. Jose A. Colon-Lopez, Puerto Rico

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back