• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

52mm Opticron (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
I am curious about the performance of the 52mm Opticron GS GA ED Spotting Scope with 12-36x Zoom. Anyone have experience with it?

I've owned one and only sold it recently to upgrade to its big brother the GS665 ED which gives a higher magnification with the HDF zoom. Nice little scope which is very well made and gives very sharp views falling off slightly at higher magnifications. Probably the best option for the 50-52mm range, more robust than the Nikon ED50 and better than the MM2 ED both of which I've also owned.

Thank you for that review copy. Apparently, the zoom does not perform well at 30x-36x, and there is CA in the center of the FOV despite the ED glass?

Jay - ED glass does not guarantee to eliminate CA, even in the centre of the FOV.

Mike is a very thorough reviewer and tries to make sure to draw out each and every "feature" of all the products he handles.

We have recently submitted the product for review to one of the US hunting mags - Petersens Hunting (http://www.petersenshunting.com/). We got some quite encouraging initial feedback from David Faubion: "As a passionate backcountry hunter, I personally tested every portable spotting scope to figure out what was the best image per pound of weight for backpacking into remote areas. Of all the scopes I tested, Nikon's ED50 not only had the best image, but it was far and away lighter than its competition. I promptly purchased and have used one for the past few seasons. And then you drop this darling little scope in my lap. For hunting miles from roads, where every ounce counts, this scope would be fantastic. Without serious testing, I can say that I would put it in the top two of all products currently on the market for a lightweight spotting scope".

Cheers, Pete

Jay - ED glass does not guarantee to eliminate CA, even in the centre of the FOV.

This is true, it depends upon, all other things being equal, the type of "ED" glass used by the manufacturer. For example, Ohara FPL53, zero CA across the field. Or, what ever is used in my ten year old Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED porro. Also, zero across the field, even on the rim of the moon.

Dont forget the amount of CA introduced by the Eyepiece..Eyepieces will affect the performance considerably,...generally speaking a good ED scope will not show CA in the center of the image and only nominal,or not bothersome ,amounts of it will show towards the edge,depending on the eyepiece.The Zoom eyepiece mentioned here ,I think ,is very similar ,if not the same ,as the famous Vixen LV 8-24..
That eyepiece itself drops performance considerably at its max. power

Last edited:
I've got this scope, used with the SDL MkI eyepiece and it's the dogs!
I've also upgraded to the ES 80 GA ED body with the same eyepiece and cannot see any difference in image quality across the whole field. I got the bigger body to balance the camera better when digiscoping. My only gripe with the 52mm being that it tends to be a little unstable when you have a camera on it, if you don't lock off the tripod head the scope falls backwards quite readily. However without the camera attached it is possible to handhold the scope.

I am curious about the performance of the 52mm Opticron GS GA ED Spotting Scope with 12-36x Zoom. Anyone have experience with it?

Just had a few hours ( in very poor light) testing out this scope together with the 12-36x zoom and I'd say it is certainly the optical equal of the Nikon ED50. Not really that much noticeably heavier tucked into my little 25l rucksack than the Nikon either. The real revelation for me though was how useful it was on 12x, SO bright and pin sharp! The extra brightness compared to the ED50 with a 20xW made it a real joy to use in my local hide on a very dark and rainy late evening.

Hi

Am looking at one of these for a travel scope.I already have a ES80 ED, and 20-60mm HDF zoom lens. Excuse my total ignorance but I thought these lenses were interchangeable. Does it not perform on the MM52, or does its focal length reduce using the MM52? Sorry just a bit confused.

Also, is there a lightweight tripid that is usuable with it. I have purchased a fold up lightweight camera tripod. I appreciate for a really steady image you probably still need a proper tripod, but I am trying to compromise what I "need" to take on holiday.

Hi

Am looking at one of these for a travel scope.I already have a ES80 ED, and 20-60mm HDF zoom lens. Excuse my total ignorance but I thought these lenses were interchangeable. Does it not perform on the MM52, or does its focal length reduce using the MM52? Sorry just a bit confused.

Also, is there a lightweight tripid that is usuable with it. I have purchased a fold up lightweight camera tripod. I appreciate for a really steady image you probably still need a proper tripod, but I am trying to compromise what I "need" to take on holiday.

Nick,

All the Opticron eyepieces are interchangeable but because of the different optical assemblies of the 'tubes' and length of them they have different focal lengths. So a 40862 HDF zoom eyepiece on an ES80 scope delivers a 20-60x magnification. The same eyepiece on a GS 665 becomes a 16-48x mag eyepiece. When the same eyepiece is then Put on the little sister of the GS665, the travelscope, the GS 52 GA ED it delivers a 12-36x zoom magnification.

This scope is ideal for travel and can be used on either a tripod or monopod. I have used this scope handheld on my travels and have watched feeding Whiskered Terns handheld, there is a technique to handholding but it can be achieved comfortably.

To try before you buy have a look at either the Birdforum Optics Events page in the binocular forum or visit

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/field_events.html

I always carry the GS52 on all optics days I attend

My next event in the Midlands is at Attenborough Nature Centre, Nottingham Saturday 12th August

Nick,

All the Opticron eyepieces are interchangeable but because of the different optical assemblies of the 'tubes' and length of them they have different focal lengths. So a 40862 HDF zoom eyepiece on an ES80 scope delivers a 20-60x magnification. The same eyepiece on a GS 665 becomes a 16-48x mag eyepiece. When the same eyepiece is then Put on the little sister of the GS665, the travelscope, the GS 52 GA ED it delivers a 12-36x zoom magnification.

This scope is ideal for travel and can be used on either a tripod or monopod. I have used this scope handheld on my travels and have watched feeding Whiskered Terns handheld, there is a technique to handholding but it can be achieved comfortably.

To try before you buy have a look at either the Birdforum Optics Events page in the binocular forum or visit

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/field_events.html

I always carry the GS52 on all optics days I attend

My next event in the Midlands is at Attenborough Nature Centre, Nottingham Saturday 12th August

Thats really useful advice, really appreciate your help Chris. Thank you.

Thanks Rob, see what you mean about the 40861, only 20 metres at 1000m is quite a narrow FOV and probably unusable in most circumstances. I am toying with the 24x or 28x as the FOV is pretty close for those.

I have one of these coming tomorrow, and will be eager to try it out over the weekend. I've been using the ED50 as my travel scope, but have had a few problems, so am currently looking for alternatives.

The GS52 ED arrived and I think I have found the perfect travel scope. Compared to the ED50 it is about the same length, but heavier. Matched with my CF tripod and ball head it is still light enough to easily carry all day. Because I wear glasses eye relief is always a concern, and I'm very pleased with the amount of ER provided by the zoom EP. I have never been comfortable with the Nikon zoom EPs. I like the combination coarse and fine focus. When I zoom all the way out the focus changes, but I can correct it with the fine focus. I will do more looking through the scope tomorrow, but at this point I'd say that the ED50 has a serious competitor.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back