• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron mm4 60 kit. (2 Viewers)

I’m very happy with my 60MM4, I use mine on a manfrotto Befree live tripod, which looks less robust than the one in the kit. I went for light so it’s easier to carry about, but then suffers more in strong winds. I just fold the legs and sling over my shoulder for rapid deployment. I got mine secondhand and don’t have the case, it may help keep it looking nice for longer, though the scope has nice captive lens/eyepiece covers and decent rubber armour.

Peter

I use an MM4 60 ED with an SDL V2 and I love it.
Does all I need from a scope in all sorts of habitats.
I don't know if that's a good deal on your link. I bought mine secondhand. I have never seen that tripod so can't comment on it.

The scope is light enough to carry all day. I find the larger 65 and 80mm + models too much for all day.

Ideally you should try before you buy to ensure you get a good one. Quality varies between scopes of the same make and model. You don't want to end up with a "Friday afternoon job "

I’m delighted with my MM4 60mm (plus SDL v2)
I use it on a monopod, a hide clamp and my Manfrotto 055 mfg and 128RC head

Whether it’s a good deal, that’s between you and your wallet

Sometimes I want a little more magnification (when doesn’t one?!), but then if I’m walking around a lot I am certainly glad not to have a heavier scope and associated tripod to lug about! The way I carry my scope I can be on a bird far quicker that even the scopack users.

Peter

Yes Peter some more mag would be nice occasionally but even today, a cool but sunny April day of just 10*C, the limiting factor was heat haze. Even at 15x it was affecting the view of some waders.
So I too really can't be bothered to carry a bigger more powerful scope.
And as you say quick set up as no scopac necessary.

Thank you Boogieshrew.

"Ideally you should try before you buy to ensure you get a good one. Quality varies between scopes of the same make and model. You don't want to end up with a "Friday afternoon job "

With best part of £1000 being spent (also considering the HDF 40810 as well) I do plan on going to a physical store first.

If Pete gamby or anyone else from opticron sees this, do you have any plans to visit devon/Cornwall this summer? Any chance of a closer try before I buy would be much appreciated as my nearest store seems to be 2+ hours away.

Opticron do regular demonstration days at nature reserves around the country.
it might be quicker to ask direct via their contact page

I got myself a dirt cheap hardly used set mm4 60ed + sdl v2. Short testing was very satisfactory. Will report further when I get a chance (short daylight, long days from home) to test it longer. Happy as can be!

I got myself a dirt cheap hardly used set mm4 60ed + sdl v2. Short testing was very satisfactory. Will report further when I get a chance (short daylight, long days from home) to test it longer. Happy as can be!
Nice little combo, I got a first gen MM360 and SDLv2 many years ago ago and it is a solid performer for the price.

The only "but" is that it was marketed as "weather resistance" or similar until the secon generation was launched...when the second "weather resistance" gen was launched...that feature of the first gen was queried in this forum and the answer was along the lines of "we did not say what we meant or we did not mean what we said"...anyway, more a marketing inconsistency that an issue with the instrument.
In any case, a really solid performer.

I understand your grievance on such matter. On the other hand I'm always wondering how often I, you, we are scoping in pouring rain. A light splatter or drizzle the mm3 will survive, I think (certainly with soc)? Eyepiece is more vulnerable, I wanted the sdl vs hdf for that certainty.

Last edited:
I have the same set up and love it. I really like the 15x lower mag for great depth of field and the same 4mm e/p as an 80mm scope at 20x 👍
Excellent little scope you can carry all day long

I understand your grievance on such matter. On the other hand I'm always wondering how often I, you, we are scoping in pouring rain. A light splatter or drizzle the mm3 will survive, I think (certainly with soc)? Eyepiece is more vulnerable, I wanted the sdl vs hdf for that certainty.
I don't disagree, but it is the principle of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back