• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

morgan hill, CA lakes. (1 Viewer)

grebefeet9

elegant tern of phrase
today i had an excellent day of birding around three medium-sized lakes in Morgan hill, CA. the first lake was quite shallow and attracted few birds, except for an excellent moorhen. a black phoebe flew out over the water. we continued to the second lake, which was full of coots, and scanned (unfortunately without scope) for other birds. we were rewarded with a good assortment of diving ducks, clark's and pied-billed grebes, cormorants and >drumroll< a common loon. we climbed the bank, and were prepared to continue to the third lake, when we saw a peregrine falcon glide up onto a power pole. it skimmed the lake, but attacked nothing. the third lake was filled with gulls, mainly ring billed and California, probably some thayer's and herring, but they were too far off. a green heron flushed from the reeds, followed by a lifer American bittern. finally, a huge flock of white pelicans circled overhead.

here's my day list. *indicates heard but not seen.
common loon
pied-billed grebe
clark's grebe
American white pelican
double-crested cormorant
American bittern
green heron
great egret
canada goose
mallard
gadwall
ring-necked duck
canvasback
common merganser
ruddy duck
red-tailed hawk
red-shouldered hawk*
peregrine falcon
American coot
moorhen
ring-billed gull
California gull
belted kingfisher
black phoebe
scrub jay
American crow
bushtit
white-crowned sparrow
common yellowthroat*
red-winged blackbird
i may have forgot a couple, i wasn't writing anything down at the time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back