• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argyll trip advice (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I'm off to Argyll (Benmore, near Dunoon) this weekend for a few days. Can anyone recommend some good birding sites? We're happy to do a fair amount of driving.

Also, is it possible to see Golden eagles and White tailed eagles anywhere in this area? If it is possible, where would be the best place to try?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Hi,

I'm off to Argyll (Benmore, near Dunoon) this weekend for a few days. Can anyone recommend some good birding sites? We're happy to do a fair amount of driving.

Also, is it possible to see Golden eagles and White tailed eagles anywhere in this area? If it is possible, where would be the best place to try?

Don't know Cowal at all, more familiar with Mid Argyll and Kintyre, but this may help:

http://argyllbirdclub.org/?page_id=103

There are some excellent spots on Kintyre for divers, Slav grebes, scoter, geese, etc. if you wanted to catch the Portavadie-Tarbert ferry.

Take the ferry from Oban to Mull. Black Guillemot in Oban harbour. Seawatch on the crossing. Both eagles, hen harrier, short eared owl otter etc on Mull. Turn left off the ferry and drive through Glen More then take scenic coast road to Salen along west side of island birding all the way.

Alternatively, if you want a helping hand, there are several bird guides that will meet you off the ferry and take you round showing you the specialities see mullbirds website for details.

Or, there is a very good chapter on Mull in the excellent book Best Birdwatching Sites in the Scottish Highlands but then I am a tad biased as I wrote it <grin> PM me if you want more details.

HTH

Gordon

Hi,

Further to GH's comment - his book is really helpful but I would buy a copy as there's information on much more than birding. It's a really good read in an armchair as well as out in the field - or moor - or mountain - or coast .........

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back