• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU 2017 Checklist proposals (4 Viewers)

I was wondering if Joe Morlan or anyone knows how state bird committees will handle reports of vagrant glaucoides or thayeri? California used to have a subspecies list which included longipennis etc.
Actually longipennis was removed from the subspecies list years ago. California has no records.

A fully updated California state list which incorporates the 58th supplement is posted at...

http://www.californiabirds.org/checklist.asp

The review list is at...

http://www.californiabirds.org/review_list.asp

Please let me know if you find any errors.

And since I see that's already been pointed out a minute earlier, I'll add that the supplement acknowledges that Arremonidae has priority over Passerellidae, but argues that Arremonidae is a nomen oblitum.
"a nomen oblitum under Articles 23.9 and 35.5"...

First 35.5:
35.5. Precedence for names in use at higher rank. If after 1999 a name in use for a family-group taxon (e.g. for a subfamily) is found to be older than a name in prevailing usage for a taxon at higher rank in the same family-group taxon (e.g. for the family within which the older name is the name of a subfamily) the older name is not to displace the younger name.
This is an article that protects the widely and long-accepted relative precedence among names that are in use. This is 100% irrelevant to the present case, because Arremonidae is not in use for a taxon below the family rank within Passerellidae.

Then 23.9 (I have removed the example and recommendation, these are not part of the legal text anyway):
23.9. Reversal of precedence. In accordance with the purpose of the Principle of Priority [Art. 23.2], its application is moderated as follows:
23.9.1. prevailing usage must be maintained when the following conditions are both met:
23.9.1.1. the senior synonym or homonym has not been used as a valid name after 1899, and
23.9.1.2. the junior synonym or homonym has been used for a particular taxon, as its presumed valid name, in at least 25 works, published by at least 10 authors in the immediately preceding 50 years and encompassing a span of not less than 10 years.
23.9.2. An author who discovers that both the conditions of 23.9.1 are met should cite the two names together and state explicitly that the younger name is valid, and that the action is taken in accordance with this Article; at the same time the author must give evidence that the conditions of Article 23.9.1.2 are met, and also state that, to his or her knowledge, the condition in Article 23.9.1.1 applies. From the date of publication of that act the younger name has precedence over the older name. When cited, the younger but valid name may be qualified by the term nomen protectum and the invalid, but older, name by the term nomen oblitum (see Glossary). In the case of subjective synonymy, whenever the names are not regarded as synonyms the older name may be used as valid.

[...]

23.9.6. The deliberate use of a name contrary to Article 23.9.1, or the mentioning of a name in a synonymy, or its mere listing in an abstracting publication, or in a nomenclator or other index or list of names must not be taken into account in determining usage under Articles 23.9.1.1 and 23.9.1.2.​
No name ever becomes a nomen oblitum "on its own" under the current Code, even when it has not been used for centuries; a name can only be a nomen oblitum relative to a nomen protectum, which must have been in very wide use for a significant time. (And, even when it is a nomen oblitum, a name can still re-enter usage as long as it does not displace its nomen protectum.)
Before Arremonidae can be called a nomen oblitum, the Committee (or somebody else) should have published evidence that Passerellidae (the wannabe nomen protectum) has been used as a valid name in at least 25 works, published by at least 10 authors in the immediately preceding 50 years and encompassing a span of not less than 10 years. From the date of publication of that evidence, Passerellidae might justifiably claim precedence over Arremonidae.
Hint: Passerellidae was reintroduced into usage by Barker et al 2013 [here]. We are now in 2017.
Of course, Bock 1994 does not count because, even though he cited Passerellidae, he did not use the name as valid.

(I have seen a Commissioner arguing that 23.9.6 makes any use of the name post-1999 not it be taken into account in determining usage under Articles 23.9.1.1 and 23.9.1.2, in which case Arremoninae could never become a nomen oblitum, because Passerellidae has been used exactly zero times in the last 50 years and before 2000, and anything more recent doesn't count. I don't agree with this reading, though. The present use of Passerellidae by the Committee, however, should obviously not be taken into account.)

Last edited:
It seems like the Passerellidae thing is more likely an oversight while creating the proposal, with justification added later when the mistake was realized but they had no time to vote. It would be fairly easy to contact the AOU checklist committee folks to see if a Passerellidae proposal will be submitted, and if not it would not take much effort to turn the above posts into a new proposal.

I'm confused...what is wrong with Rallus aquaticus? Is it the "-" or the use of Western? If Western it makes sense in the fact that they are acknowledging a split of the old world taxa, the eastern form of which is I would guess a potential stray to Alaska. Not sure if it is even appropriate since Brown-cheeked Rail is the normal name for the eastern form, so it seems better to just keep Water Rail as is. If it's the hyphen, no clue. Again it would be easy I would think to submit a proposal to correct this, and I suspect it would pass if other checklists use Brown-cheeked.

This actually has happened a few times with common names, where people tend to ignore existing names and invent new ones or attempt to improve on existing names.

Okay I see the water rail part of the proposal (for some reason I only remembered this as adding a Greenland bird, not also evaluating a split and common name.

Have to say I agree that changing Water Rail "because it might cause confusion" seems a bit of an odd of a reason when Winter Wren and Canada Goose still exist. Both of which are a known headache for reviewers in North America...I don't imagine too many Brits have to worry about Brown-cheeked...

Their basis on names seems to be Howard and Moore and the Birdlife International illustrated checklist. Hopefully this is one case where Clements doesn't follow AOU.

Lanius borealis

AOU Classification Committee – North and Middle America
Proposal Set 2017-B

01 02 Recognize additional species in the Aulacorhynchus “prasinus” toucanet complex
02 17 Treat the subspecies (A) spectabilis and (B) viridiceps as separate species from Eugenes fulgens (Magnificent Hummingbird)
03 23 Elevate Turdus rufopalliatus graysoni to species rank
04 26 Recognize newly described species Arremon kuehnerii
05 30 Revise the classification of the Icteridae: (A) add seven subfamilies; (B) split Leistes from Sturnella; (C) resurrect Ptiloxena for Dives atroviolaceus; and (D) modify the linear sequence of genera
06 34 Revise familial limits and the linear sequence of families within the nineprimaried oscines
07 42 Lump Acanthis flammea and Acanthis hornemanni into a single species
08 48 Split Lanius excubitor into two or more species
09 54 Add Mangrove Rail Rallus longirostris to the main list
10 56 Revise the generic classification and linear sequence of Anas

IOC Updates Diary July 5

Accept split of Northern Shrike

I'm confused...what is wrong with Rallus aquaticus? Is it the "-" or the use of Western? If Western it makes sense in the fact that they are acknowledging a split of the old world taxa, the eastern form of which is I would guess a potential stray to Alaska. Not sure if it is even appropriate since Brown-cheeked Rail is the normal name for the eastern form, so it seems better to just keep Water Rail as is. If it's the hyphen, no clue. Again it would be easy I would think to submit a proposal to correct this, and I suspect it would pass if other checklists use Brown-cheeked.
Primarily the hyphen; in regular English grammar, a hyphen is not followed by a capital letter; it looks ugly and uncouth. But there's also the aspect of American imperialism; AOU (in for example their contempt for IOC, and disregard for BOU) seem to consider themselves as the arbiters of not just US, but also global bird naming in English: they will expect Clements and other global lists to take it up as the global standard English name, and thus also Britain.

I was not quite so sure what happened. Part E (2-way split) got (at least) 6 "yes" votes and some of the English name proposals got up to 7 yes votes on a conditional basis. Given that some committee members just said "yes" across the board, it's difficult to see what happened though.

They did adopt a two-way split in these Toucans, according to the AOU paper just out.

They did adopt a two-way split in these Toucans, according to the AOU paper just out.

You are certainly right that this was confusing - not only in terms of the proposal and voting layout... but also the result, especially in light of comments on other proposals!

Primarily the hyphen; in regular English grammar, a hyphen is not followed by a capital letter; it looks ugly and uncouth. But there's also the aspect of American imperialism; AOU (in for example their contempt for IOC, and disregard for BOU) seem to consider themselves as the arbiters of not just US, but also global bird naming in English: they will expect Clements and other global lists to take it up as the global standard English name, and thus also Britain.

"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." A.Tanenbaum

The IOC was never intended to be a peer reviewed taxonomic list. Its mandate was to establish standardized English names around the world, not to evaluate taxonomic research. I don't think the AOU has contempt for IOC at all; they just do very different things.

AOU/AOS is proposal driven and highly conservative. They make no changes unless there is a formal proposal (anybody can make one) and the proposal is based on peer reviewed published research. The committee members are all acknowledged experts in taxonomy. Their deliberative process ensures their decisions will have wide acceptance in the taxonomic community at least among those working in the Americas. This is quite different from the IOC process which quickly accepts the latest taxonomic proposals.

Yes, the Clemens/eBird list will follow AOU decisions, but not because the AOU expects them to. They follow AOU by choice out of respect the conservative and scientific nature of the AOU process.

As for disregard of the BOU, I'm afraid that's a two-way street. From my perspective, the AOU has accepted quite a few BOU English names while I cannot think of any cases where BOU changed an English name in favor of one used in America. If you know of any, please let me know.

The IOC was never intended to be a peer reviewed taxonomic list. Its mandate was to establish standardized English names around the world, not to evaluate taxonomic research. I don't think the AOU has contempt for IOC at all; they just do very different things.

They may not have been at the start, but they self-evidently are now; and they too are acknowledged experts in taxonomy. That they are less conservative than AOU's members is not necessarily a point to hold against them (it may be in some occasions; it may not be in others).

As for disregard of the BOU, I'm afraid that's a two-way street. From my perspective, the AOU has accepted quite a few BOU English names while I cannot think of any cases where BOU changed an English name in favor of one used in America. If you know of any, please let me know.

Common Redpoll over UK traditional Mealy Redpoll (for Acanthis flammea, at the time Carduelis flammea flammea) springs to mind; there may well be others both recent, and back in the long ago (e.g. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an old 19th century systematic English name American Thrush, that was dropped in favour of American Robin, despite the latter's taxonomic inaccuracy).

American imperialism; AOU (in for example their contempt for IOC, and disregard for BOU) seem to consider themselves as the arbiters of not just US, but also global bird naming in English

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an old 19th century systematic English name American Thrush, that was dropped in favour of American Robin, despite the latter's taxonomic inaccuracy.

American imperialism to chose to name a US bird as they desired? Anyhow, wasn't it English settlers that named it 'robin' as it bore a resemblance to the bird they had left behind?

You sure have a grudge against US authorities using the names they decided upon, be it complaining that ebird doesn't use British spelling as a default spelling or in this case that the AOU is using a hyphen not exactly as you see fit (I have no issue with their hyphen usage, certainly would not term it uncouth as you declare).

"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." A.Tanenbaum

AOU/AOS is proposal driven and highly conservative. They make no changes unless there is a formal proposal (anybody can make one) and the proposal is based on peer reviewed published research. The committee members are all acknowledged experts in taxonomy. Their deliberative process ensures their decisions will have wide acceptance in the taxonomic community at least among those working in the Americas. This is quite different from the IOC process which quickly accepts the latest taxonomic proposals.

Yes, the Clemens/eBird list will follow AOU decisions, but not because the AOU expects them to. They follow AOU by choice out of respect the conservative and scientific nature of the AOU process.

There have been also a few cases where Clements accepted or retained a split that the AOU voted against (I think Stonechat and Purple Swamphen split was rejected by the latter, but still accepted by the former?)

At any rate, given that ebird uses clements, and ebirding seems to be most popular in the USA and Canada, it really makes sense they would try to be consistent with AOU/ABA.

I think Clements/ebird have a stated policy of following AOU/S for birds that are American but not necessarily where the majority of a bird species/group is outside the Americas.

Niels

. . .I wouldn't be surprised if there was an old 19th century systematic English name American Thrush, that was dropped in favour of American Robin, despite the latter's taxonomic inaccuracy. . ..

It's nonsensical to refer to a vernacular name as "taxonomically inaccurate".

Can't recall having seen "American Thrush" for Turdus migratorius. Think I saw "Robin Thrush" in old works, however.
"Red-breasted Thrush" was also definitely used.

That said, I agree with fugl - vernacular names and taxonomy are two quite distinct domains.

Last edited:
Cassia Crossbill

A is up, but not readily accessible. Go here directly to see them:

http://checklist.aou.org/assets/proposals/PDF/2017-A.pdf

Some very interesting proposals, including proposals

to split Northern Harrier, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Red Crossbill, and Prevost's Ground-Sparrow

Change species level taxonomy of juncos (splitting some species apart while lumping the two ABA area species together)

Changing the common name of Ring-necked Duck to Ring-billed Duck

Changes in generic classification of geese, egrets, Blue-gray Noddy, and Wilson's Phalarope

And changes in linear ordering of sandpipers

IOC Updates Diary July 6

Accept split of Baird’s Junco
Accept split of Cassia Crossbill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back