• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

Just recieved my RSPB membership pack, and it got me thinking about climate change again. I really need to know - can you just turn things off at the mains switch, or are you supposed to unplug them as well? Its seriously bugging me!

Also, I know we're all supposed to be against climate change, but I'm actually pretty excited about the birding prospects! Sure its bad for most of the species we have at the moment, but it would be cool in 50 odd years time to be able to tell stories to the young 'uns about the old days, perhaps at a Knot twitch!

What do you think it will be like? I have my fantasies: the London area and East Anglia becoming a massive wetland habitat where you can get guided tours by Zodiac inflateable, and Squacco and Night herons breed amongst the more elusive Little Bittern. Serin, Bee-eater and Hoopoe are all patch birds, and Calandra Lark has the current status of Red-backed Shrike. Perhaps not a totally loony vision, but do you reckon we'll be around to see it? I quite fancy a British list of well over 400, with loads of species that are reasonably regular, perhaps even common, today but that will become dream self-finds in the future... What are your views?

Also, I know we're all supposed to be against climate change, but I'm actually pretty excited about the birding prospects!

Surely there can be no truly positive effects of climate change :eek!: although I can sort of see what your saying if I try very hard... ;)

Change in wind directions has given me 2 Wrynecks and an Icterine Warbler, as well as good numbers of common migrants, so not bad really...

2 Wrynecks? I would have to disagree about the positive effects - the melting of permafrost in Mother Russia will free up land there, and Mediterranean species will surely blossom and flourish. Of course the bad effects far outweigh the good ones, and we can't realistically predict the effects anyway (they might not be disastrous, but on the other hand could be absolutely devastating). Ah well, that wasn't really my point, but I understand.

2 Wrynecks? I would have to disagree about the positive effects - the melting of permafrost in Mother Russia will free up land there, and Mediterranean species will surely blossom and flourish. Of course the bad effects far outweigh the good ones, and we can't realistically predict the effects anyway (they might not be disastrous, but on the other hand could be absolutely devastating). Ah well, that wasn't really my point, but I understand.

Yes 2 (one Holme, one Blakeney - read my blog ;) - you know you want to!)

Just what I was trying to say really, some species it will be good for, some species it will be bad for - overall balance - bad

Although I quite fancy the idea of Little Bitterns at my garden pond - they are quite cool.

Yesterday morning I spent three hours over high tide at Bowling Green Marsh in the hope of connecting with the Marsh Sandpiper. Dipped.

Got home, and saw a report saying bird was showing from the viewing platform at 2.20. So, I got on the next train, an hour and a half later I arrived at the hide, only to be told the bird had flown over to Goosemoor, which has no access. I stayed until dark, but there was no sign of the bird.

Dipped one bird twice in a day. Not bad going.

Unlucky mate...

By the way everyone - I have just completed the trip report for James' and my Scotland visit. It's on the trip reports page on our blog, but Joe, you might not want to read it, we had Marsh Sandpiper at Hickling...

Last edited:
Yesterday morning I spent three hours over high tide at Bowling Green Marsh in the hope of connecting with the Marsh Sandpiper. Dipped.

Got home, and saw a report saying bird was showing from the viewing platform at 2.20. So, I got on the next train, an hour and a half later I arrived at the hide, only to be told the bird had flown over to Goosemoor, which has no access. I stayed until dark, but there was no sign of the bird.

Dipped one bird twice in a day. Not bad going.

Joe have you been finding out who blocked you again? ;)

Anyway i saw 156 species in spain which was very nice

highlights including spanish imperial eagle :king:

Just what I was trying to say really

But you didn't say that did you Connor!? ;) |:p|
Enjoy school!

Anyway you totally ruined (LOL) the most important point of my post which was asking about the unplug/switch off thing. Any help please?

Thats a massive haul Tom, did you take any photos on your trip?

not many James but hopefully I will have a few decent ones to post soon

when does everyone go back to school? i go on thursday afternoon :-C
Thursday morning.
Just when everything starts moving again. Probable Fea's Petrel past Berry Head today.

A rather eventful day at Hope's Nose (a south Devon headland) yesterday.

A two hour seawatch yielded Pom Skua, Sooty Shear and 21 Common Terns.
Bird of the day was a Wryneck, which had been present since 8am and was again on site today (24 hours later).

The drama came when I was walking down towards the tip of the headland at about 11am, having already scored Wryneck, Pom and Sooty. Basically, I took a fall, which culminated in me breaking my ankle. A painful experience to say the least, and I ended up being airlifted by helicopter off the headland, much to the bewilderment of local birders and dog walkers!

6 hours in hospital and I came out on crutches with a massive cast on my leg.

Full account of what actually happened can be found here.

Not your average day!

My god hope you fully recouver soon Joe. Today I had 5 Sabine's Gulls and a Long-tailed Skua of the patch, as well as a good passage of Great Skuas etc. see my website for more.

Didn't know you got airlifted! It must have been incredibly painful, but was it fun being airlifted?
I was a bit drowsy having been given a large dose of morphine for the pain, but yeah it was quite an experience. They gave me a headset and microphone, so I could communicate with the pilots, which was pretty cool, 'just like on TV'!

And that's supposed to be a good thing?!!?! Read some literature

:-O I was thinking in terms of the food shortage that will result in mass death of humans, rather than geographical consequences, but yeah good point. 1-0 to Mr. Caspian Gull, post-and-in ;)

I wonder if Joe was being secretly filmed for one of those air ambulance programmes

LOL

I want to be airlifted now :-O

Conditions look good for the weekend...good luck to everyone who's out birding - James and I scored with 6 Sabine's Gulls and a Cory's Shearwater off Titchwell on Sunday B :)
When will the passerines flood through?!?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back