• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (5 Viewers)

See http://www.birdguides.com/sites/area.asp?a=121 for a list of useful contacts and an ornithological group. Send a written descirption with your photo attached to the county recorder for West Yorkshire, as it will certainly be a description species (although I would ring/email the relevant recorder first - Phil Bone from that list I believe) - well done on a good find. Could you post more details on here as well. When/exactly where was the bird present?

Cheers,

Connor

Last edited:
It was in Soyland, near Cottonstones, which is near Halifax. It was up Wicking Lane in the field opposite Noah Dale Farm.
It was present on Thursday 24th July. It is a remote location with no reserve near it. Only I saw it as I was on my own.

Last edited:
Thanks, the local recorder is aware of it now. I dare say some of the locals will be off out to check if it's still around. It would be a fantastic bird to tick locally,birding around here is a bit lacking and that's one hell of a bird!

I'll PM you contact details for local recorder.

heyy

im rob 17 stoke-on-trent birder

british list atm is 230 with recent additions being woodlark which i found :)pectoral sandpiper ,black redstart and hoopoe all of them being in staffordshire

my fav bird site are spurn , gibriltar point (not sure how its spelt :p) and marshide and findhorn bay is best place for velvet scoter and long tailed duck

Welcome to birdforum. the majority of young birders (well some at least) are on holiday, hence the lack of acitivity. As you can see my latest addition is Trumpeter Finch but hopefully that will change soon ;) as autumn migration hots-up here. Unsurprisingly Holme :t: is my favourite site but Spurn, Sumburgh Head, Cley and Gibraltar point all run it close.

Cheers, and welcome once again,

Connor

i went to rutland water and didn't see any ospreys. i saw a spoonbill (asleep), 3 black terns, a good variety of waders and a kingfisher. i may go to brandon marsh tommorow
blue skies :t:

Welcome to birdforum Rob.
James and I have just come back from Wales and are about to go off to Scotland!
Highlights of Wales; (not many)
high of 1000 Manx Shearwater
2 Balearic Shearwater
7 Arctic Skuas
38 Red-Breasted Mergansers

Scotland will hopefully be better!!!B

Attachments

• 11082008552.jpg
    11082008552.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 79
Back from a few days in Yorkshire.

19 Red Grouse on the moors in a 3 mile drive.

70+ Little Gulls and a few Greenshank at Hornsea Mere.

3 Whinchats and 2 Pied Flys at Bempton.

Wykeham Forest yielded Goshawk and a handful of Crossbills.

Stopped off at the Stilt Sand on the way back down. Too hazy for photographs unfortunately. Red-necked Phalarope nearby was nice.

Decent trip in all.

Attachments

• Red Grouse.jpg
    Red Grouse.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back from France, my first trip abroad so quite exciting. 22 lifers. Best was a Black Stork flying over the car at La Brenne, Short-toed Eagles over the holiday cottage, Hoopoe, Herons and Egrets, plenty Montagu's Harriers, Zitting Cisticola + heaps of Turtle Doves, Whiskered Terns, Cirl Buntings and Serins etc etc. Another highlight was a male Hen and a male Monty's in the same field!

Just a few of the pics (many more on my site):
BlackStork8881.jpg

Short-toed Eagle5881.jpg

Monty's12881.jpg

CirlBunt13881.jpg

There's a trip report with loads of photos etc on my website www.southeastbirding.com.

Good trip. Trips are always fun, you see NEW STUFF from a hotel window or a parking lot. My first official* Europe bird was from an airport bus window, a crow.

* I do not count birds there from my childhood, gull, tern etc.

Last edited:
Joe&David, you had a good birding. Excellent pictures!

Good trip. Trips are always fun, you see NEW STUFF from a hotel window or a parking lot. My first official Europe bird was from an airport bus window, a crow.
When I arrived to New York last holiday it was night (but unfortunately I didn't see any owls, only one fire* on Manhattan) ;)

* There were several fire-cars. It looks pressing.

James and I have just arrived back from Scotland! It was a lot better than our Wales trip...
Considering it was out-of-season for most of the specialities (grouse) we did pretty well I think!

Crested Tit - 6+ (Abernethy Forest)
Black-Throated Diver - 5 (4 - Lochindorb, 1 Peterhead)
Red Grouse - 2 (Lochindorb) - lifer for me but not James.
Ptarmigan - 4 (Cairn Gorm)
Capercaillie - 2 (pair at a secret site)
Parrot Crossbill - 1 male and possibly 3 more females (secret site)
Sooty Shearwater - 2 (Rattray Head)
Audouin's Gull - 1 (Chapel Point, Lincs)

They were all lifers! Here are some other highlights;

Osprey - total of 4 (including 1 on a seawatch at Rattray Head!)
Hen Harrier - 1 (Findhorn Valley)
Slavonian Grebe - 5 (Loch Ruthven)
Snow Bunting - 3 (juvs.) (top of Cairn Gorm)
Great Northern Diver - 1 (Rattray Head)
Long-Tailed Skua - 1 (Rattray Head) - lifer for James but not me.
Velvet Scoter - 10+ (Blackdog) - but no Surf Scoter!
Little Auk - (Blackdog) - very early!

So that completed the Scotland trip - it was excellent!
We had 8 lifers each, and loads of year ticks (my year list is now on 229)

Last Saturday (2 days ago) we also went to Hickling and got great views of the Marsh Sandpiper (a lifer for both of us)!

So thats the summary of the last week!

Good birding

Sim

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back