• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon USA Service (1 Viewer)

It's interesting how the service slip was worded. In my request for service, I explained quite clearly that the SE's had rarely been used and that they'd always exhibited what appeared to be mis-collimation. I went on to say that they had never been bumped much less dropped or damaged in any way. The body and every part of the binocular looked as new when they were sent in.

The slip came back saying the collimation was adjusted due to impact damage! If that was the case, why didn't they charge me?

It's interesting how the service slip was worded. In my request for service, I explained quite clearly that the SE's had rarely been used and that they'd always exhibited what appeared to be mis-collimation. I went on to say that they had never been bumped much less dropped or damaged in any way. The body and every part of the binocular looked as new when they were sent in.

The slip came back saying the collimation was adjusted due to impact damage! If that was the case, why didn't they charge me?

You note above that you told Nikon that the binocular "had rarely been used" so they probably concluded you purchased it with that problem and did not notice it for a while.

Besides, under circumstances like yours, what is 10 bucks to Nikon?

They fixed the impact damage and returned it to you without charge. Under their 25 Year Limited Warranty they treated it as a defect in material and/or workmanship and they have the option to repair or replace it.

Bob

if i understud, you pay 10s if you have not gurantee?

Basically yes. All you need is your sales slip to get the no-fault 25 year warranty protection. If you don't qualify for this it costs you $10.00. But this information is from Nikon's North American division and it may be different in Europe.

25-year Limited Warranty

"Nikon Binoculars, Spotting Scopes and Fieldscopes are covered by a 25-Year Limited Warranty against defects in material and workmanship. If your Nikon Binocular, Spotting Scope or Fieldscope is found to have defects in material or workmanship, Nikon Inc. will, at its option and without charge, repair or replace the product.

No warranty card is required to obtain warranty service for products covered by this warranty; simply retain your original dated proof-of-purchase in case warranty service is needed. We also recommend registering your product so we can send you information about future updates or service issues that may arise."

Nikon No Fault Repair/Replacement Policy

"Nikon is dedicated to quality, performance and total customer satisfaction. If your Nikon Binocular, Spotting Scope or Fieldscope* requires service or repair not covered by our 25-Year Limited Warranty, Nikon will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling."

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back