• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DPP sharpnedd issue (1 Viewer)

mr30

When viewing my photos in dpp i sometimes need to crop in to my photos, but ive noticed when i crop them they become noticeably softer. So the best way to explain is to post 2 pictures. These are 2 screenshots of exactly the same picture, but one has been cropped to 50% field of view and the other is in the 50% view mode and the latter of the 2 is a lot sharper. I was wondering why this is as there should be very little difference.

I have tried contacting canon but there doesnt seem to be a specific email

hope someone can help

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-03-24 at 18.13.38.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-24 at 18.13.38.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Screen shot 2012-03-24 at 18.13.42.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-03-24 at 18.13.42.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen shot 2012-02-05 at 16.27.24.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-05 at 16.27.24.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screen shot 2012-02-05 at 16.27.29.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-05 at 16.27.29.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 73
I've noticed the same problem. When you use the crop tool the cropped image appears as "Fit image to screen" and the image appears a lot softer. As soon as you go into 50% or 100% view you get the full resolution back, ie sharp image again. I don't think it affects the resolution of the cropped and saved image when printed or viewed in other software. The problem, I think, is a deficiency of DPP software and like you I don't know who to talk to about it. Canon are unapproachable on things like this.

I've noticed the same problem. When you use the crop tool the cropped image appears as "Fit image to screen" and the image appears a lot softer. As soon as you go into 50% or 100% view you get the full resolution back, ie sharp image again. I don't think it affects the resolution of the cropped and saved image when printed or viewed in other software. The problem, I think, is a deficiency of DPP software and like you I don't know who to talk to about it. Canon are unapproachable on things like this.

A similar thing happens in Photoshop as it appears the programme doesn't resolve the pixels properly at certain zoom factors.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back