• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shore Birds - SW Missouri (1 Viewer)

OzarkBirdman

United States
I am in need of some more input on shorebird ID (clearly I need to work on this family of birds). Two days ago I observed what I believed to be 3 Solitary Sandpipers. I digiscoped a couple pictures and a video that I posted, and the consensus was Solitary Sandpipers as well. Here is the link to that thread for reference. CLICK HERE

Today I returned to the same location and observed 3 Lesser Yellowlegs. They were taller, with more mottled backs, had white rumps when they flew, had straight bills approximately the length of their heads (not upturned), and of course had yellow legs.

I returned 4 hours later with my long lens to try and get some better photos and saw what looked like 1 Lesser Yellowlegs and 2 Solitary Sandpipers. Either I've got a mix of birds here or my eyes are playing tricks on me. Here are the photos I took this evening, multiples of each. I believe Bird 1 and Bird 3 are Solitary Sandpipers, and Bird 2 is a Lesser Yellowlegs. Notice how Bird 2 is taller.

BIRD 1
DSC_0264.JPG

Bird 1
DSC_0280.JPG

Bird 1
DSC_0372.JPG

Bird 2 and 3
DSC_0339.JPG

Bird 2 and 3
DSC_0343.JPG

Bird 2
DSC_0361.JPG

Here are two of the birds from earlier today I believe are Lesser Yellowlegs. They had white rumps when flying. I apologize for the quality.

ABDE2A3B-EB5E-4A33-832D-801004DA39DE.jpeg
A1E4796D-5500-4594-9A28-44DD44F106B8.jpeg
CCD44602-425A-4993-9033-42F0F385B068.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back