• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Third-party eyepiece covers? (1 Viewer)

sonofjon

Hi. Is there such a thing as a manufacturer of universal rubber caps for spotting scope oculars? I lost the cap for my Nikon ED50 (MC 27x) eyepiece and would like to replace it. It doesn't seem easy (or possible?) to replace it with an original part, but I could easily settle for something similar (with similar dimensions). After googling around for a while, however, I have come up with nothing. Any advice on how to protect my eyepiece would be appreciated. Thanks.

What I do is cut the top off a small plastic bottle with the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the eyepiece, then slip it over as a cover. Prescription pill bottles/containers come in a variety of sizes and often work well for me.

--AP

As said above there are plenty of DIY fixes.

Alternatively many astronomy shops sell a variety of eyepiece covers. Here's just one example. A little packing may be required (rubber inner tube etc glued inside) to get the correct friction fit, but a serviceable item should result and not look too Heath Robinson. HTH

Thanks for the advice. I ended up manufacturing my own, from the lid of a prescription pill container, and padding its inner diameter with some hockey tape to get a perfect fit.

I lost rubber eyepiece cover from an ED50 ep before, and also twice lost objective covers from EII´s, and on all occasions Nikon UK send me replacements free of charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back