• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus point problem (1 Viewer)

Ian Hardy

i have just purchased the Canon 7D mark 2 and cannot get the focus point to move, the square is just to the right of
Centre and I cannot get it to move. I will appreciate any help given.

Thanks

Ian

Have you tried depressing the AF Point selection button Ian - you can then move the AF point by using multi controller, if you depress the multi point controller it should auto set to the centre point.

What Roy said is correct.

The other option is to press the last button on the top right hand corner of the camera. 2 buttons to the right of the AF-ON button. I have no clue what it is called. That controls the joystick and you need to press that first to adjust where you want the focus point to go.

Or you can use the custom controls and set the joystick as a custom setting to automatically control where the focus points go without first having to press the other button.

Go to custom controls in the orange menu.

select the multi controller by pressing the set button

then select the Direct AF point selection option.

This is how I have the camera set and use it all the time to adjust where I want my focus point to be.

What Roy said is correct.

The other option is to press the last button on the top right hand corner of the camera. 2 buttons to the right of the AF-ON button.
That is the 'AF Point selection button' Isaac - just saying!
Ian, its on page 93 of the manual - the same button used in conjunction with the AF area selection mode button (by the main dial) is also a easy way to change the mode on the fly with your eyes on the viewfinder. This is the same as the 7D original.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back