• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 Viewfinder focus point keeps randomly sticking (2 Viewers)

Mick Sway

United Kingdom
R7 Viewfinder focus point keeps randomly sticking
This is a new purchase, could anyone shed any light as to what I'm doing wrong.
I assume that its something simple, obviously when it's tracking eye movement the focus shifts
but normally the centre point is in the middle of the screen.
Next time I go for a shot, I find it's to one side, usually the left of screen.
Help.Thanks

The joystick seems to be very sensitive to the slightest touch and I often find it's nowhere near the centre of the screen especially if I am using Fv mode and scrolling across the bottom settings with the thumb wheel. As davids says though, just push the joystick straight in and it resets itself to the centre.

Shane

R7 Viewfinder focus point keeps randomly sticking
This is a new purchase, could anyone shed any light as to what I'm doing wrong.
I assume that its something simple, obviously when it's tracking eye movement the focus shifts
but normally the centre point is in the middle of the screen.
Next time I go for a shot, I find it's to one side, usually the left of screen.
Help.Thanks
I have had the same problem, and it seems to happen if I turn the camera on and don't wait for the messages to clear before pressing the shutter button. Have not yet figured out how, or if, I can disable that "feature." It is super annoying.

Resetting the focus point to the center can be done by flipping open the screen and tapping the center. The time it takes to do that almost invariably results in losing the shot, as the bird moves away.

I have had the same problem, and it seems to happen if I turn the camera on and don't wait for the messages to clear before pressing the shutter button. Have not yet figured out how, or if, I can disable that "feature." It is super annoying.

Resetting the focus point to the center can be done by flipping open the screen and tapping the center. The time it takes to do that almost invariably results in losing the shot, as the bird moves away.
Back in November , while under warrantee, my R7 was sent off for repair. A couple of weeks before Christmas I got a call from a technician confirming that they'd managed to replicate the fault and installed new parts (sensors from memory). The camera has since been returned to me . Over the last couple of weeks I've had the odd day out with it and although it's not completely loosing focus as before , I am very far from happy with it. The number of keeper images I'm getting is about 10% , the majority are blurred, not soft blurred, totally unuseable.
Also the focusing now pulses, something that never happened previously.
I have watched numerous videos on wildlife set up and read user advice on Facebook . Folks tell me it's me, my expectations, my lenses and not the Canon R7. Having been an owner of a 600D, 40D, 90D, 7D & 7DII , I am hardly an inexperienced user. My own verdict is that regrettably Ive been sold a pup. By the way I am aware of resetting the focus point and agree with your conclusions on the matter.I wish I could be positive about my experience. Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back