• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finder scopes on spotting scopes? (3 Viewers)

If you hook two cable ties together,you can even have one tip shorter than the other and be spot on target with two different eyepieces(say a fixed wide and a zoom) just by rotating the sight 180 degrees.(the zoom is longer,so it needs a longer tip on the cable tie)
I use mine quite looseley fitted outside the sock of my ED82.Works a million.Costs nothing.A sheer joy to use.Birds in flight;No problem.

reg
Baltus

Hi Baltus,

That is advanced thinking. Great! I have a 23x fixed eyepiece on order and may need your solution in a while. For now I use 1 cable tie sight and the zoom.

Greetings, Ronald

Ronald,

Excellent!

Now with your two additional drawings, I think we have reached the point where misunderstanding the directions has been made as difficult as humanly possible. They are very good now, and the written instructions are just about unnecessary with them.

Now, I wonder if we should start a new thread, in the general field rather than the Nikon field, where we would post all your drawings and my article in a neat bunch, two or three consecutive posts, and with a good title that people would find, just to make it more easily found and referenced? You can suggest a better title for it, but here's mine:

Simple sight (aiming) device for telescopes: illustrated instructions

The title is not elegant, but it crams in as many of the relevant search terms as I can think of (sight, aiming, device). Well, "targeting" is still missing...

Let me know what you think.

Also, you might want to offer your drawings to the Twentse Vogelverkgroep pages in Holland, since that is probably one of the chief reference sites for optics information in your country.

Kimmo

Hi Ronald,

thank you very much for your very nice and enlightening illustrations. They let me finally understood how it should work.

Greetings

Steve

Ronald,

Excellent!

Now with your two additional drawings, I think we have reached the point where misunderstanding the directions has been made as difficult as humanly possible. They are very good now, and the written instructions are just about unnecessary with them.

Now, I wonder if we should start a new thread, in the general field rather than the Nikon field, where we would post all your drawings and my article in a neat bunch, two or three consecutive posts, and with a good title that people would find, just to make it more easily found and referenced? You can suggest a better title for it, but here's mine:

Simple sight (aiming) device for telescopes: illustrated instructions

The title is not elegant, but it crams in as many of the relevant search terms as I can think of (sight, aiming, device). Well, "targeting" is still missing...

Let me know what you think.

Also, you might want to offer your drawings to the Twentse Vogelverkgroep pages in Holland, since that is probably one of the chief reference sites for optics information in your country.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

I think it's a great idea; I've been trying to cram all the instructional illustrations into one post but max file load was 5. Now they're all spread over the thread so a new thread in the General Forum would make things a lot easier for anyone interested.

Maybe we should add " Make your own..." to the title you suggested?
That way we could make more people curious.
"Make your own simple sight ( aiming ) device for telescopes: illustrated instructions" ?
It's a bit long, but every bit of info is in it.

So, what next?
Your article (as in the attached thumbnail somewhere earlier in this thread ) first, maybe with added reference to the illustrations? I find it important because the article is a great introduction; after reading it people will understand the illustrations much better.

Then in the second post 2 illustrations of the cable tie being adjusted to a) scope with centered eyepiece, and b) scope with offset eyepiece?
That's my thumbnail no. 1 and no.6 respectively.
Then in the third post thumbnails 7, 2,3,4 and 5 for the calibrating/adjusting work?
The illustration of the right viewing position ( thumbnail 7 ) should come first, I think. With a short announcement in the post like the one I wrote posting thumbnail 7 on this thread. Thumbnails 2,3,4 and 5 will speak for themselves after that.
Or do we make a fourth post for 2,3,4 and 5? And 7 in the third post by itself?

I hope you still follow, I'm not as good in explaining things by words as you are.

When we start our new thread, we want the postings ( 3 or 4 posts ) to be consecutive; how can we do that? We'll have to synchronise our postings, I guess? So could we simply ask people not to post in the meantime, before all the illustrations are complete?

I'm open to all of your suggestions; I'm happy to contribute to this great forum.

Oh, and your suggestion to offer my drawings to the Twentse Vogelwerkgroep is noted; I'll mail them shortly.

Greetings, Ronald

Ronald,

I'll get back to you on this in a day or two, as right now I'm too busy to give it enough thought. I'm sure that one of your proposed ways of proceeding will be good, but I'll need to have the time to print out your illustrations and look at them for a while.

Thanks again for doing them.

Kimmo

Ronald,

I'll get back to you on this in a day or two, as right now I'm too busy to give it enough thought. I'm sure that one of your proposed ways of proceeding will be good, but I'll need to have the time to print out your illustrations and look at them for a while.

Thanks again for doing them.

Kimmo

Hi Kimmo,

Take your time. I will be busy all weekend with my WWF comic stripwork ( I have a deadline monday October 1st ) so I'm gonna need all my free hours.

Greetings, Ronald

Ronald,

Yes, let's do so. I'll post the first post, with the attachment and the request that no one else would post on the thread until you have posted your pictures on it. After you have posted them, I can go and edit out the request and it should be fine. I can do the posting tonight (tuesday) after 7. pm GMT. if that is o.k. with you.

After looking at the illustrations more carefully, my preferred order for them would be either: 1-6-2-7-3-4-5. or: the same but 7 coming between 6 and 2.

Kimmo

Last edited:
Ronald,

Yes, let's do so. I'll post the first post, with the attachment and the request that no one else would post on the thread until you have posted your pictures on it. After you have posted them, I can go and edit out the request and it should be fine. I can do the posting tonight (tuesday) after 7. pm GMT. if that is o.k. with you.

After looking at the illustrations more carefully, my preferred order for them would be either: 1-6-2-7-3-4-5. or: the same but 7 coming between 6 and 2.

Kimmo

OK.

I'll do 1-6-7-2-3-4-5.

Greetings, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back