• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls Cheshire UK (1 Viewer)

CyberRob

Hi

I took these photographs at a Nature Reserve in Cheshire this week

Any help with identification will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Rob

Attachments

• 36 Gull DSC_0036.JPG
    36 Gull DSC_0036.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 40 Gull DSC_0040.JPG
    40 Gull DSC_0040.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 006 Gull DSC_0075.jpg
    006 Gull DSC_0075.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 007 Gull DSC_0076.JPG
    007 Gull DSC_0076.JPG
    517.7 KB · Views: 137
I would say first winter Herring Gull. Scapulars are bar-shaped and tertials are wih the typical oak-leafed marking, the bill has a pale base as well.

Well, I thought they are all the same bird :)
But looking at each one individually I would say the first is unidentifiable, second maybe Herring, last two are Herring, for the reasons I explain above!

The 2nd and 4th photo look like Great Black-backed Gulls to me. The upperparts and upperwing coverts are more coarsely marked than in Herring Gull (more black-and-white), and in the 4th photo the tail also seems to lack a strong dark subterminal band, which is more typical of GBBGull.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back