• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID Oregon Coast July (1 Viewer)

marwey

Germany
Hi,

Can somebody help with gull identification? Attached picture was taken in July 2016 at Cape Perpetua, Oregon -sorry for the poor quality
I thought it might be Western Gulls, but I'm not sure. As if European gulls weren't difficult enough, I thought dabbling with the American gulls would be a great idea :)
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Martin

Western Gull fraglich, aber dunkle Juvenile spricht dafür.JPG

I would have to say Western Gull just to be safe. The Olympic gulls, from what I understand....are further north into the Puget Sound area. There are so many sub-and hybrid species of gull that I don't know how anyone can realistically tell them apart anymore other than by general range.

The most reliable way of separating Western from Dark Olympic is the color of the eye ring. Orange in Western and pink in Olympic and Glaucous-winged. We cannot see the eye ring here unfortunately. Additionally Olympic Gulls are still the majority as far south as Newport only 27 miles north of Cape Perpetua. Olympic Gulls are breeders as far south as Coos Bay.
See this photo attached
1706126069609.png

Thanks a lot for your quick and detailed replies. I wasn't aware of the hybridisation problem... but on the other hand why should you guys have an easier life with gull ID ;). I got Glaucous-winged in the Puget Sound with a good view on the eye ring (attached photo). The Heermann's Gulls were my Favourites though - easy to ID and nice to look at with their dark plumage.

Attachments

• Glaucous-winged Gull, Pier 54.JPG
    Glaucous-winged Gull, Pier 54.JPG
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Glaucous-winged Gull, Pier 54b.JPG
    Glaucous-winged Gull, Pier 54b.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back