• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Developing new recording software from scratch (1 Viewer)

OK.. first limited functionality Alpha test version is available if anyone is interested.

This is aimed at a) validating installation on a range of platforms, and b) trying out the mechanism for creating records (ease of use, finding the species you are looking for etc).

More details on my blog at http://naturerecorder.wordpress.com/ along with video clips of some of the other functionality.

DMap is driven off a simple text files. By running a query and exporting the results as a .txt file and then running script to open DMap the results can be viewed. It is not perfect but it’s very flexible and produces excellent Maps.

Richard

Thanks for the heads up about DMap Richard - it looks interesting but if I read their website correctly it would mean shelling out £70 for each copy of my software that is installed on user machines.

As I'm aiming to release my software either free of charge or for a nominal fee I think that I'll have to either go with Google or find my own way of producing maps (not easy!)

Following succesful testing by a small but varied group of testers I'm now opening up the intial alpha test to the wider public and a second alpha release covering much wider functionality will be coming soon.

If you want to have a try head over to www.naturerecorder.com where you can download the latest alpha release (although please note you'll need some additional instructions, so drop me a line).

A further update - I've implemented some more changes requested by testers and version 0.0.1.4 is now available for testing.

This version includes the ability to rename the common name of species (so if you want to call a "barn swallow" just "swallow" you can do so, and you can assign short codes to species to speed up selection from a list, ie you can set it to recognise "seo" as "short eared owl" etc).

I've also started to introduce static list reports ("year list" and "life list" are the two stock reports at the moment but more on the way).

To date the alpha test has had restricted functionality as I wanted specific feedback on how easy it was to create reports. I've now had lots of good response to that and so I'll start to enabling more of the functionalit about manipulating records and locations/sites which will make it more or less fully functional.

I'm also looking at import/export routines - I have a system for importing records from the RSPB's recording software and will look at other common applications shortly.

Attachments

• yearlist.jpg
    yearlist.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 57
I'm one of Paul's Alpha testers and so far it's looking good. I know that Paul would welcome a few more testers so why not give it a whirl?- anyone who's prepared to devote their professional expertise to writing software to benefit many of us deserves every encouragement in my book!

Hi, this software looks beatifully and is very promissing. But you could add updatable list of locations. And choosing of species is a little tiring. Updatable datasheet would be better than selecting individual species from that table, one after one. And comboboxes do not autocomplete. Or maybe I cant find appropriate options.

Hi, this software looks beatifully and is very promissing. But you could add updatable list of locations. And choosing of species is a little tiring. Updatable datasheet would be better than selecting individual species from that table, one after one. And comboboxes do not autocomplete. Or maybe I cant find appropriate options.

Thanks for taking a look locustella - important to note that the version thats available for download is severely restricted in terms of functionality. The reason for this is to get feedback on specific areas at first.

I will soon be releasing a new version which opens up access to the ability to add locations, view locations on the map, view species records per location etc, all of which are implemented but deliberately not available yet (if you take a look at my blog - naturerecorder.wordpress.com - you'll see screenshots and a couple of videos showing functionality that you can't access from the downloadable version).

I'm interested in your comment about choosing species being tiring as the first round of test versions are all about adding species. Can you elaborate?

Last edited:
Selecting species from a combobox would be much more handful. In a simple datasheet. And eventually additionally from optional fast search form. Due to large number of species and their synonimes.

Selecting species from a combobox would be much more handful. In a simple datasheet. And eventually additionally from optional fast search form. Due to large number of species and their synonimes.

Thanks for the additional info but I'm not sure I'm much clearer... at the moment you can pick from a list of species, or just type the name in from an auto-completing textbox, or type in quick codes (you need to set these up first but once set up you can just type - for example - ggs for great grey shrike).

Is there any reason you see a combo box being avantageous?

I'm happy to look at offering additional ways to enter data for reports (the main way at the moment is a "wizard" approach which is simple but not necessarily the fastest way of doing it). You can also add species straight from the reports tab by using the add and delete buttons once a report is selected.

Last edited:
or just type the name in from an auto-completing textbox
That is what I called fast search form. I didn't notice it.

or type in quick codes
Very interesting idea.
Is there any reason you see a combo box being avantageous?
to avoid opening next forms, reduce number of clicks, make entering data faster if you have bird names memorized literaly as they are called in your list.

That is what I called fast search form. I didn't notice it.

Very interesting idea.

to avoid opening next forms, reduce number of clicks, make entering data faster if you have bird names memorized literaly as they are called in your list.

OK... I *think* what your asking for is largely already there - one thing I haven't got is a help file and I've been explaining things either on my blog or on e-mails to testers as we've gone along so perhaps thats whats lacking at this point.

That said I will look to set up a spreadsheet-style entry form as an alternative option for those that prefer that method - watch this space - hopefully will have that available for the next build - probably next weekend.

I can only encourage people to download the sample software and give it a try. Paul is very keen to hear as much feedback as possible and the software is coming along very nicely indeed.

I tried to download the latest version, but I got a message that I needed net something 4.0. :( I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds like a microsoft thing. I dont really want to be involved with microsoft any more than I am so I might have to pass on this one.

darth bangkok, it's dot net 4 thats required to run Nature Recorder, you'll already have an earlier version of it on your computer, so your not signing over your life anymore than you already have.
But yes it is a Micro$oft thing.
Heres a link (non M$) for the full download and a bit of guff about it.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_dotnet_framework_4/

You also need the Access Database Engine, Yep M$ for the database in Nature Recorder to run.
The version you need is operating system dependant.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=13255

Nature Recorder will be a nice app when it gets finished and is worth a play at present.

I tried to download the latest version, but I got a message that I needed net something 4.0. :( I'm not sure what that is, but it sounds like a microsoft thing. I dont really want to be involved with microsoft any more than I am so I might have to pass on this one.

As Grahame says... (thanks Grahame!) .Net is now included with Windows but depending on what version / service packs you've got you may need to download the latest version. Its free so you're not donating anything to Microsoft. Likewise the Access connectivity pack.

I mention on the download page of the website that there are a couple of pre-requisites and to drop me a note if you plan to install so I can explain what you'll need over and above the install. Eventually I'll amend the installer to include the pre-requisites but for the time being I'm focussing on functionality in the application hence the rough edges to the setup process.

Just an update - progress has been slow lately due to work commitments and winter ailments, however I'm making headway and a major increment of the functionality will be available soon.

I've just checked the stats on the website and I've just had the 100th person download the alpha test version - many thanks to everyone thats downloaded and had a play with it and please continue to provide your feedback.

Last edited:
I haven't updated in a while, so just a quick word on progress..

After a couple of months where the day job has got in the way of the project I've made some good steps forward recently and a couple of testers are just kicking the tyres of v0.0.2 which allows you to create and manage regions and locations (the first releases had just dummy locations as I wanted people to focus on adding records at first).

I've also introduced a "lists" section which gives you quick access to your year list for the current and previous year, life list and regional lists. I've also now added comparisons so you can look at your year list for this year vs last year, or your year list vs your life list in order to highlight target species that you might want to look for.

I've also got an import function to allow you to import data from CSV files if you have data already stored in another program or spreadsheet. (Thats still very much a work in progress).

As always more info available on my blog.

Attachments

• list.jpg
    list.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Import.jpg
    Import.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 52
Just another quick update. The last few months have been much slower progress than planned, entirely down to commitments of the day job.

v0.0.2 will be out very soon (in fact possibly this week) but I'm currentl being pulled in different directions - I wan't to revamp the website and add web functionality, and also write the android app to go with it, and add taxa for other creatures (especially butterflies and dragon flies) and tidy up some loose ends, oh and rewrite the installer.

It may just be simplest to get 0.0.2 released as it has lots of increased functionality over the current live version.

Meanwhile... here's a screenshot showing some enhancements I've made to the home screen...

Attachments

• homepage.jpg
    homepage.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 73
An update at last - had a few problems with other commitments, plus latterly some problems with my web host but at last v0.0.2.x is available from www.naturerecorder.com

This is a major upgrade as it means that you can now add and edit locations (the earlier builds restricted you to three pre-canned sites).

If you are interested please let me know...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back