• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Serrania de Ronda/Sierra de Grazalema (1 Viewer)

A very good day for Swallows. Several small flocks headed north following the course of the Rio Guadiaro, also a few House Martin and Sand Martins. Headed above Montejaque for a peep at over 30 Alpine Accentors and registered my highest winter count of Crag Martins, well over 3000+ riding high over the cliff tops!! Ring Ouzel was also present in my highest number for the winter 42+, so could be some have returned already from Africa and are moving North. Sun and blue skies, plus some good numbers of birds made the day feel like spring, temperature of 21 added to the experience. Off to Morocco late tomorrow, so will let someone else carry-on till I get back on the 25th.

Black Wheatear said:
A very good day for Swallows. Several small flocks headed north following the course of the Rio Guadiaro, also a few House Martin and Sand Martins. Headed above Montejaque for a peep at over 30 Alpine Accentors and registered my highest winter count of Crag Martins, well over 3000+ riding high over the cliff tops!! Ring Ouzel was also present in my highest number for the winter 42+, so could be some have returned already from Africa and are moving North. Sun and blue skies, plus some good numbers of birds made the day feel like spring, temperature of 21 added to the experience. Off to Morocco late tomorrow, so will let someone else carry-on till I get back on the 25th.

That'll do me. Nail them down until a fortnight's time.

Black Wheatear said:
Hi Jane,

Do get over often? Can always send me PM before your next visit and will try and give you the latest info (cost you a red wine in Zahara). I go ringing now and again with David Barros and Rios, David Rios was telling me he had males singing above Puerto de las Palomas in June and July last year!!

I get over once or twice a year. If I manage to achieve my ambition of buying a house in Grazalema, that will of course increase.

Alan Seaton said:
I'll let you know how I get on.

PS Early May I'll be in Catalonia. Should be good there too. It was last year.

Hi Alan,
Will be back 25th. So you have my contact details get in touch and if I have a day with no work, I can show you the site, spectacular area! Hoping to post up a photo quiz by 1st March which has a prize of joining the guiding team for an autumn birding safari in Morocco, so need to work on that when I get back!!

tom tams said:
Hi Alan,

Will you be writing a trip report ?
I will be there in the first week of May for one week

Good Luck
Tom

Hi Tom,
As promised I will be in touch when I get back from leading the Morocco trip. I have spoken to a friend near to where you are staying, so he might show you around.

Jane Turner said:
I get over once or twice a year. If I manage to achieve my ambition of buying a house in Grazalema, that will of course increase.

Hi Jane,
Will let you know if I hear of a reasonable casa at a reasonable price, but what's wrong with Montejaque, Zahara or even Monte Corto? Much cheaper! Do let me know when you are planning to be here and I can send a PM with the latest info.

I just really like Grazalema... love the feel of the place, love the bars etc

Might be there at easter... its a toss up between birding/walking and a cultural trip to Madrid.

Jane Turner said:
I just really like Grazalema... love the feel of the place, love the bars etc

Might be there at easter... its a toss up between birding/walking and a cultural trip to Madrid.

Go for it Jane. Madrid will be there a long time yet

Attachments

• Grazalema.JPG
    Grazalema.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 106
Hi All,

Peter's on his way down to Morocco, so i am hoping to keep this thread going. On my way to Peter's i stopped off at his Vulture feeding site, not many birds about but did see 25+ Griffon's and a single adult Black. Which i will not tell Peter about till he gets back as i know he will not be to happy about the Black Vulture.

That's at least the second report of black vulture recently in the region. There were two plus a lammergeier reported with griffons at Tarifa last month.

I was speaking to an observer at Tarifa last October, telling him about a Ruppells I'd seen the day before and he confirmed that there had been about half a dozen of them seen there and La Janda but more exiting for him was a black vulture at Tarifa a short while before. He said that the number of records in the last 25 years was tiny and they were delighted to have seen it.

Black Wheatear said:
Hi Tom,
As promised I will be in touch when I get back from leading the Morocco trip. I have spoken to a friend near to where you are staying, so he might show you around.

Hi Peter

That would be absolutely brilliant, thank you very much indeed
Good Luck on your trip to Morocco

Tom

Peter should be well on his way through Morocco by now, proberbly a good job as he missed two Black Vultures at the feeding station today, the first was a nice Imm bird scrapping over some leftovers with a few Griffons and the second an adult was just seen to fly over the site. Several Giant Orchids in full flower on the drive through the hills near Grazalema, as were many Somber bee Orchids. The only Butterflies were Large Tortoiseshell, Small and Large Whites.

Alan Seaton said:
This is getting even more interesting. Where exactly is the feeding station? Any directions?

Hi Alan

Peters away as you know and i would not dream of giving away any of the sites he uses. He's due back on the 24th and i will make aware of the message.

All the best.

Hi

Peters still away so just a quick note on a few migrants seen on a trip out today. We headed south west from Ronda to visit a friend on the coast and on the way picked up 2 male Northern Wheatear, 4 Pallid Swift and several groups of Swallow/Martins, some 100+. A cracking Eagle Owl was also seen perched on rocks near Gaucin, Malaga Province.

All the best

Hi all

Not had any ADSL for the last couple of days, don't know if heavy rain effects it or not? Any way spent the day out of the rain Tuesday down on the coast at Rio Guadalahorce, Malaga. The best birds were two Spanish lifers, 2x Penduline Tit and a Female Tufted Duck. The usual Spoonbill and a couple of Greater Flamingos were present but the best sight were the hundreds of Red-rumped Swallows hawking over the main pools, (700-800). Plus many hundreds more of Barn Swallow, House Martin, Crag Martin but i could not find a Sand Martin amounst then. Other migrants were thin onthe ground.

All the best

Hi all

Peters due back tomorrow so these postings will probably get far more interesting. But for now, spent most of the morning in the Sierras near Ronda with a couple of birders from UK. Saw most of the regulars including the flock of 25+ Alpine Accentors, but only distantly. Lots of Griffons and a pair of Bonelli's Eagles. At the Vulture Station there were no Birds at all this visit, looks as though the food has stopped being put out, hopefully only in the short term. Whilst in the same area we saw Goshawk, a second pair of Bonelli's, and a group of 5 Common Crossbills displaying.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back