• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clapper Rail or King Rail? Big Branch Marsh, Louisiana (1 Viewer)

D Halas

Hello all,

I was out at Big Branch Marsh National Wildlife Refuge in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana this morning. One of the birds I saw was this rail; I'm not sure if it's a Clapper or a King (I've never seen either species.) Both species have been regularly reported on eBird at this precise location, the Boy Scout Road Boardwalk. The bird was silently preening the entire time I was watching it.

Attachments

• rail1.jpg
    rail1.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 160
  • rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 189
  • rail3.jpg
    rail3.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 163
  • rail4.jpg
    rail4.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 65
  • rail5.jpg
    rail5.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 85
I have never seen King Rail, but I believe the weak contrast on the rear flanks should indicate Clapper for this one

Niels

Habitat as well says Clapper Rail. That is a Spartina marsh edit: [no it's not] , indicating tidal salt-water, which is where Clappers occur. King Rails like fresh or brackish water. There may be a bit of overlap, but not in Spartina mashes.

Andy

Edit: Oops! shoudl have waited to look on my desktop!

Last edited:
Habitat as well says Clapper Rail. That is a Spartina marsh, indicating tidal salt-water, which is where Clappers occur. King Rails like fresh or brackish water. There may be a bit of overlap, but not in Spartina mashes.

Andy

Sorry, but got to disagree on habitat there - I'm seeing Typha and Juncus in the background, and Nymphaea in the foreground, all freshwater plants, particularly the Nymphaea (water-lily), which is 100% reliable ident., and doesn't grow in salt water. No Spartina that I can see.

Sorry, but got to disagree on habitat there - I'm seeing Typha and Juncus in the background, and Nymphaea in the foreground, all freshwater plants, particularly the Nymphaea (water-lily), which is 100% reliable ident., and doesn't grow in salt water. No Spartina that I can see.

Agreed.

So habitat favors King, but this bird doesn't seem boldly-marked enough to rule out Clapper, especially the relatively bright Gulf Coast race.

Agreed.

So habitat favors King, but this bird doesn't seem boldly-marked enough to rule out Clapper, especially the relatively bright Gulf Coast race.

And while I hate to be "that guy," also note that they hybridize in the gulf coast as well.

I agree with the other comments that the overall color is not bold and orange enough for our typical inland King Rails - would be hard to believe it is a pure one. I don't know whether "pure" Clappers venture into Big Branch Marsh or not - unfortunately range limits of this pair are poorly understood in coastal states, due, as you can imagine, to ID issues.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! So, a Clapper Rail seems likeliest, either with or without some degree of genetic introgression from King Rail, but a pure King Rail seems to be ruled out. Would anyone object vehemently if I were to enter this on eBird as a Clapper Rail? (In fact, I've already done so. But I'll gladly change it if that seems to be the consensus.)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back