• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ontario & Michigan generally & King & Yellow Rails? (2 Viewers)

Paul Chapman

I am due to be birding in Ontario & Michigan from 13th to 27th May. I have been doing the usual research through eBird. One of the species which appears to be considered sensitive on eBird in Ontario is King Rail albeit that there is some publicly available information suggesting the St Clair area.

If there is anything more specific that can be made available, I would be grateful or indeed that can be shared privately by Direct Message.

We are due to be spending a week in the Pelee area before crossing info Michigan for Kirtland's Warbler and looping back to Toronto via a couple of days at Algonquin along a northern route via Thessalon/North Bay.

I have come up with three public Yellow Rail sites on eBird on this loop but anticipate that all three will simply be heard only experiences?

Any more general recommendations or thoughts or suggestions for birding experiences on such a loop always gratefully received.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_143753_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_143753_Chrome~2.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 9
I am due to be birding in Ontario & Michigan from 13th to 27th May. I have been doing the usual research through eBird. One of the species which appears to be considered sensitive on eBird in Ontario is King Rail albeit that there is some publicly available information suggesting the St Clair area.

If there is anything more specific that can be made available, I would be grateful or indeed that can be shared privately by Direct Message.

We are due to be spending a week in the Pelee area before crossing info Michigan for Kirtland's Warbler and looping back to Toronto via a couple of days at Algonquin along a northern route via Thessalon/North Bay.

I have come up with three public Yellow Rail sites on eBird on this loop but anticipate that all three will simply be heard only experiences?

Any more general recommendations or thoughts or suggestions for birding experiences on such a loop always gratefully received.

All the best

Paul
King Rail is difficult to get this far north. Folks may record the presence of a king rail at one site, only for it to be completely absent the next year. In other words I wouldn't bank on seeing this species or even hearing it on this trip.

Yellow Rail is probably going to be a heard only. IMHO they are the just most difficult rail to actually SEE rather than just hear, outside of during the rice harvest in Louisanna and a few other special cases.

I wish you luck though! Both species are the only two rails I need for the ABA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back