• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

is there a compact p&s with infra-red remote (1 Viewer)

richardm

Hi
Just thinking of revisiting digiscoping. I used to use a sony video, but thinking more of a compact point&shoot this time.
But to avoid any shake, an infra-red shutter release seems a must (as with camcorders)..?
It seems Pentax MX1 has a back-mounted sensor and infra-red remote, but are there others (with a 3-5X zoom) out there ?
Richard

Perhaps initially use the delayed shutter option as a budget alternative to an IR remote?
Most P&S cameras have them built in.
It might enable enough experimentation to let you know whether you want to get serious again.

Hi
Just thinking of revisiting digiscoping. I used to use a sony video, but thinking more of a compact point&shoot this time.
But to avoid any shake, an infra-red shutter release seems a must (as with camcorders)..?
It seems Pentax MX1 has a back-mounted sensor and infra-red remote, but are there others (with a 3-5X zoom) out there ?
Richard

Richard,
Sorry I'm a bit late on this. Many of the Nikon Coolpix digicams use an IRemote and the newer V1/V2 do as well. It's the same remote too.
If you can get hold of the older Nikon P6000 is still a very good camera if light is not too much of a problem. Otherwise look at the Nikon V1 which can be picked up for a good price. Either the 10-30 mm zoom or the 11-27.5 mm zoom do a good job.
Panasonic and Ricoh have a cable remote , as does the new Sony RX 100 M2.
Neil
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back