• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back to DSLR (1 Viewer)

dixonge

United States
Not counting my childhood camera (which I 'won' by selling greeting cards) my photography journey began in the 90's. I bought a basic body (Pentax I think) and captured my first tornado with it. I learned darkroom technique. Later I upgraded to a digital video camera (2 mp!) and then a Canon Rebel. In 2007, in preparation for a trip to Alaska, I upgraded to a Panasonic Lumix FZ-4x and shot thousands of bears, birds, icebergs, whales, mushrooms and landscape photos in two weeks. In 2017 I upgraded to an FZ-80.

The FZ-80 is now failing when I zoom just the right way. Simultaneously I became aware that my bird photos are often good for nothing more than identification. Last week they failed even for that, brought to my attention by another person using a DSLR and big lens (300mm I think). So here I am zooming out to 1200mm and beyond, and they are getting the same bird at basically the same size, but with much better sharpness and color.

I can get another FZ-80 for just $300. It is tempting. But now I know its reach comes at a cost of quality. In addition, I'm beginning to think my high-tech superzoom is making me lazy. If I can grab a bird at great distance, enough detail to ID it, why work on my fieldcraft and get closer? Why bother with binoculars to get a clear view and practice field identification? Why remember photo basics like aperture, ISO and shutter speed when auto-everything just works?

I decided to upgrade. My first thought was to just get a better, newer superzoom. The Sony RX10 iv has crazy reach and a bigger sensor. It also costs $1700. So I ended up going really retro, back to my early camera days. I now have a Canon T7 and within a few days I will pair it with a Sigma 150-600 C lens and I'll save almost $400 in the process. The shutter/mirror click brings back memories/emotions. Sure, it's only 3 frames/second, but it's not like I've put 10fps to use.

Most importantly, I think it will cause me to be more aware, think more about what I'm doing, learn more, be a better photographer. Hopefully be a better birder as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back