• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never Say Never! (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
OMG!

I am sooooooooooo excited! :D :D :D

For years now I have been wanting a Goldfinch in my garden. For years I have been disappointed!

But!

Today was the day!

A lone goldfinch was at the feeder, but of course it flew off as I grabbed the camera. It did return to sit on a branch and I managed to get a very poor photo. But it is a photo nonetheless!

Attachments

• Goldfinch.jpg
    Goldfinch.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 19
Brilliant, Kits. Get out the niger feeder, fill it, then wait, they will come back, some like sunflower hearts too, but to get a few, niger is needed, I think so anyway. If they don't instantly appear, do not dispair, it may take a while.
I did this & it worked.

Keep trying, Kits, now they are in your area, they will eventually find it. Unless those Goldies have different tastes to ours that is.:-O

I shall continue to leave it out, Val. All I meant was that they have never been attracted to it before, so I am not convinced that lots of goldfinches will appear now. But I have had one in the garden, so I am a happy bunny!

I shall continue to leave it out, Val. All I meant was that they have never been attracted to it before, so I am not convinced that lots of goldfinches will appear now. But I have had one in the garden, so I am a happy bunny!

I thought that too, Kits & now we have up to 20. If there is a substantial population in your area, they will eventually appear in your garden.

I well remember the first time they came in my garden. Not one but seven. They settled in a willow tree, just as the light was fading. They are infrequent visitors and I have never had more than a couple since. They seem quite happy with sunflower seeds. Congratulations! It's brilliant when you get a new garden tick.

Pat

You could put peanuts in the blender and use this a ground food. They can cope with this with their fine beaks. Ours would come to this redaly...so did every thing else as well tho!!

Sorry, Kits, only just spotted this momentous news! I know you've always been a bit jealous of those of us who have Goldies all the time.;) Don't worry about niger, mine are more than happy with sunflower hearts.

Congrats Kits! I had a small number visit once or twice and they rather took to the sunflower hearts but didn't return. I got a photo of one on the feeder though.

Attachments

• goldie.jpg
    goldie.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 10
I am surprised you didn't hear the squeals of delight, Wendy!

That's a good pic, Paul. I haven't been at home much for the past couple of days, and won't be much over the weekend, but will keep my eyes peeled next week to see if it returns and hopefully I can get a better shot!

Congrats on the goldies.Like Wendy, I have goldies all year round and and coming several times a day, especially pre dusk feeding on sun /kernals almost 100%of the time like Wendy's.They are deservedly"charming". I wish my green finches would show again but I think they might have succumbed to cold and disease.We'll soon know in spring.

maurice

Thanks Maurice!

It (or one just like it!) did reappear, but I haven't been around much to see if it or any others have returned. Hopefully will be around tomorrow and the weekend to watch.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back