• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bird generations? (1 Viewer)

ehrodz

Does the concept of generations apply to birds? Aplomado Falcons were succesfully reintroduced to the South Texas area 17 years ago. In that period how many successive generations of falcons are there likely to be? Or does the concept even apply? Is there a comparable bird concept? Thanks.

I am no expert ornithologist. However it seems to me that yes there is sort of a concept of generations, especially in birds that take longer than a year to fully mature. I know we refer to our local bald eagles in terms of generations in a way.

Off the top of my head, I would think a “generation” in ornithology would vary from species to species depending on (average) age of first breeding. The great majority of small birds breed at 1 year of age so in their cases each year’s production of offspring would constitute a new generation. In other species--mostly large--which don’t normally breed until their 2nd , 3rd, 4th, 5th, whatever year, new generations would be produced at the corresponding multi-year intervals. But, having said all this, I don’t know if the term “generation” is used much in day-to-day field biology. Time, I think, for a professional biologist to come along & give us the facts.

Last edited:
I always love that 'Monarch Butterflies' take 4 generations - or something - to make their yearly trip. Kinda' trippy.

I would think "generations", appertaining to birds, would be the same as for people - 1 set of parents > 1st gen ( offspring ) > 2nd gen. > 3rd gen etc so, if the Aplomado Falcons bred in their first year of introduction, and their decendants bred in each successive year then there would be 16 generations after 17 years. The amount of time that a bird takes to acheive breeding condition doesn't come into the equasion - after the first set of offspring have bred.

Chris

I would think "generations", appertaining to birds, would be the same as for people - 1 set of parents > 1st gen ( offspring ) > 2nd gen. > 3rd gen etc so, if the Aplomado Falcons bred in their first year of introduction, and their decendants bred in each successive year then there would be 16 generations after 17 years. The amount of time that a bird takes to acheive breeding condition doesn't come into the equasion - after the first set of offspring have bred.

Re your analogy with human beings, I’m not sure I’m following your reasoning here, but are you arguing that if human parents had 3 children, say, at year intervals each of which produced offspring of its own immediately upon reaching reproductive age, that each year’s output of grandchildren would constitute a separate generation? That makes very little sense to me.

I think the concept of generations is difficult to apply when adults are long lived and might breed repeatedly for many years, quite likely continuing to reproduce at the same time as their offspring and grand-offspring could also be breeding. You could also have breeding between individuals of quite different ages, so then what generation would the offspring be?

So for small songbirds, with large numbers of offspring and high annual mortality, it might be reasonable to talk about one generation per year. But probably not for species such as the Falcons in the original post, where a substantial proportion of each year's offspring are likely to be produced by birds which have already bred in previous years.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back