• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The MFT user advice thread (2 Viewers)

My big change since upgrading from a 7D to an EM-1 is that I have switched from RAW to JPEG capture.
This may seem odd, but I have found that the electronic viewfinder lets me get the exposure spot on for every shot, so the main benefit (for me) of RAW, the wide dynamic range, is of less importance.
Whilst it is true that I could squeeze more image quality out of RAW, to be honest I have decided that since I am not a pro and the improvement is neglible at sensible viewing distances, I may as well save myself the hassle.

My workflow is now to take the photos in JPEG, import to the iPad and that's it, generally. I catalogue my photos using PhotoMgrPro. I back up to my PC and for a select few photos I'll use Photoshop Elements or Lightroom to touch them up (such as removing some white stains from this Puffin shot).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 109
My big change since upgrading from a 7D to an EM-1 is that I have switched from RAW to JPEG capture.
This may seem odd, but I have found that the electronic viewfinder lets me get the exposure spot on for every shot, so the main benefit (for me) of RAW, the wide dynamic range, is of less importance.
Whilst it is true that I could squeeze more image quality out of RAW, to be honest I have decided that since I am not a pro and the improvement is neglible at sensible viewing distances, I may as well save myself the hassle.

My workflow is now to take the photos in JPEG, import to the iPad and that's it, generally. I catalogue my photos using PhotoMgrPro. I back up to my PC and for a select few photos I'll use Photoshop Elements or Lightroom to touch them up (such as removing some white stains from this Puffin shot).

That's quite interesting to know, coming from DSLR as you do, I am actually thinking next outing I may shoot both Raw and JPEG simultaneously, and then compare my efforts after processing the same shot in each format.

That's quite interesting to know, coming from DSLR as you do, I am actually thinking next outing I may shoot both Raw and JPEG simultaneously, and then compare my efforts after processing the same shot in each format.
If you do, and find a difference in the results, please post them here. I tried it with my E-520 and reverted to jpgs because I couldn't see a difference, but I don't know if that's just because I didn't know what to look for.

I love the colours in that Puffin shot Graeme. :t: I always shoot Raw and process the images using Lightroom 5. There doesn't seem to be a great difference between this method and the JPEGs straight from the camera but it does give me a bit more scope to retrieve overexposed highlights and change the white balance etc. It is a lot more work, though.

Ron

Thanks Ron.

.. it does give me a bit more scope to retrieve overexposed highlights and change the white balance etc. It is a lot more work, though.

Ron
Add on slightly better noise removal (relevant mainly for retreiving underexposed shadows) and I think that's it spot on.

I've decided to forego those slight advantages for a streamlined approach, but everyone has different priorities and I know mine have changed in the last year or so.

To be honest, with Lightroom Raw files are not much of a hassle, but the concept of using my EM-1 with my iPad as a complete solution is so attractive, that is the main reason I decided I can do without Raw.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back