• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (71 Viewers)

I was lucky enough to be looking in exactly the right direction when the Male Redstart landed in the hedge this morning. No sooner had he landed than he looked right and left and was gone...

Nice set of pics, Sy. Might be good to include one of these in the report if possible.

Thanks for the feedback and be my guest, Dave. That's what it's all about, as far as I'm concerned. :t:
Here's a panorama of the work that John, Phil and I did yesterday in front of Hen Brook hide. Note the two 'rides' that have been cut to afford some views of the ever-diminishing (because of Phragmites invasion) Hen Pool.

I do like this panorama making software!

Attachments

• Panorama Hen's Pool_resize.jpg
    Panorama Hen's Pool_resize.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
A few more shots from this morning that was spent in the pleasant company of Des (which is just as well 'cos I thought this Comma that was sunning itself on the hops behind the hide was a Fritillary)!
But, it's surprising what you can use a 400mm prime lens from a hide for... insects beware! This is the Sedge Warbler that was so noisy at the start of the season in front of the hide. I'm assuming the LRP is a Juv (by the lack of black on its head). Yesterday's work in the Hen's Pool is paying off by supplying views like this one of a Reed Warbler and a further assumption is that the last picture is a Brown Hawker.

Attachments

• Comma 2_resize.jpg
    Comma 2_resize.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Sedge Warbler 1_resize.jpg
    Sedge Warbler 1_resize.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 116
  • LRP Juv_resize.jpg
    LRP Juv_resize.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Reed Warbler 1_resize.jpg
    Reed Warbler 1_resize.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Brown Hawker 1_resize.jpg
    Brown Hawker 1_resize.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
A few more shots from this morning that was spent in the pleasant company of Des (which is just as well 'cos I thought this Comma that was sunning itself on the hops behind the hide was a Fritillary)!
But, it's surprising what you can use a 400mm prime lens from a hide for... insects beware! This is the Sedge Warbler that was so noisy at the start of the season in front of the hide. I'm assuming the LRP is a Juv (by the lack of black on its head). Yesterday's work in the Hen's Pool is paying off by supplying views like this one of a Reed Warbler and a further assumption is that the last picture is a Brown Hawker.

Yes - I've been trying to get a picture of a Brown Hawker for ages but they always seem to move just as I approach. Nice one!

Yes - I've been trying to get a picture of a Brown Hawker for ages but they always seem to move just as I approach. Nice one!

From my recent reading they are notoriously difficult to capture photographically so well done indeed Sy, as it's also a fine picture :t:

I was lucky enough to be looking in exactly the right direction when the Male Redstart landed in the hedge this morning. No sooner had he landed than he looked right and left and was gone...

Cracking Pics mate....I'm sure you will be able to 'airbrush' the twig from the redstart's throat8-P

Am I wrong but this birds breast seems brighter than previous pictures of the bird. Is it a different bird???

Last edited:
Cracking Pics mate....I'm sure you will be able to 'airbrush' the twig from the redstart's throat8-P

Am I wrong but this birds breast seems brighter than previous pictures of the bird. Is it a different bird???

Actually I was thinking the head looked much duller than earlier sightings but assumed that the bird had become worn looking after a hungry brood .....

Not having seen the bird before, I can't comment on its apparent changed appearance. Des and I had a good discussion about the white between the head and breast. It would appear that it's entirely normal for males at this time of year.
But, I think you'll all realise that I'm chuffed to bits to have nailed it, and the feedback about the pictures and the other photos I was lucky enough to take today is very much appreciated. Thanks.
And, whilst we all know one Swallow doesn't make a Summer. We should also remember that one Redstart doesn't make a 'proper' birder.
I have looked about today and asked questions of those in the know...
Question in the WTF is this? Forum
Birdwatch Article

P.S. Will I be allowed upstairs, when we get the new fun palace? :-O

Last edited:
Today's highlights. I think SV might have one or two sightings in addition to mine.

FLASHES:
Green Sand (12)------------------Common Sand (2)
LRP (3)----------------------------Common Tern (3)
BH Gull c200----------------------Lapwing (68)
Little Owl--------------------------Curlew (4)
Willow Warbler--------------------Sedge Warbler
Sparrowhawk

MOORS:
Water Rail------------------------Shoveler (2)
Tufted Duck broods 3:5---------Greylag Geese (10)

OF INTEREST:
Brown Argus (m+f) on Ed Res 'heath'. See attached image.

It's good to see SV's image of a Brown Hawker, because I managed to get one too. As has been pointed out, they are probably the most difficult of hawkers to photograph. I have only managed to get one image before and I wasn't particularly happy with the end result, so for two images to be gained on the same day is a surprise.

Des.

Attachments

• Brown Argus (f).jpg
    Brown Argus (f).jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Brown Hawker.jpg
    Brown Hawker.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 83
Nice pictures Des. How's that for a coincidence!
As far as sightings go I have little of significance to add:
At one point I had 2A and 2J Common Terns.
A Green Woodpecker cross the path along Hen Brook and I have some thoroughly grotty images of a Buzzard carrying what I think is a rabbit, sat in a distant tree.
That's all I remember - my notes are in the Landie.

...I'm sure you will be able to 'airbrush' the twig from the redstart's throat8-P...

John

I have endured some verbal assaults of late but I am truly mortified that you would suggest that I (a stalwart and honourable photographer) would ever contemplate doing such a despicable thing!

:smoke:

P.S. This took ferkin' ages and I ain't doin' it again!

Attachments

• Redstart retouch 1_JTB.jpg
    Redstart retouch 1_JTB.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 110
Today's highlights. I think SV might have one or two sightings in addition to mine.

FLASHES:
Green Sand (12)------------------Common Sand (2)
LRP (3)----------------------------Common Tern (3)
BH Gull c200----------------------Lapwing (68)
Little Owl--------------------------Curlew (4)
Willow Warbler--------------------Sedge Warbler
Sparrowhawk

MOORS:
Water Rail------------------------Shoveler (2)
Tufted Duck broods 3:5---------Greylag Geese (10)

OF INTEREST:
Brown Argus (m+f) on Ed Res 'heath'. See attached image.

It's good to see SV's image of a Brown Hawker, because I managed to get one too. As has been pointed out, they are probably the most difficult of hawkers to photograph. I have only managed to get one image before and I wasn't particularly happy with the end result, so for two images to be gained on the same day is a surprise.

Des.

Hi

What part of the reserve is Ed Res "heath" please ? I don't know that area.

cheers

Hi

cheers

Bit of a nick-name really. It is the open area in the education reserve. It has a very poor sandy soil supporting a sparse mixture of grasses, ground lichens and other low-growing plants. We call it the 'heath' as it resembles a very small version of a grass-heath (such as Weeting Heath in the Brecks). Usually a good spot to look for for insects.

John

I have endured some verbal assaults of late but I am truly mortified that you would suggest that I (a stalwart and honourable photographer) would ever contemplate doing such a despicable thing!

sorted8-P

John

Cheers Sy - this now meets with the high and exacting standards for the annual report; consider it included! :t:

Hi

cheers

The Education Reserve is theoretically out of bounds, being part of the Sailing Centre. From the Sailing Pool car park walk by the overflow car park and through the gate that leads behind the houses and petrol station. After about 50 metres the heath is on your left - always looks very good for a potential Wryneck or Hoopoe.

I would suggest that any access is made either at weekends or in the school holidays as it is used by school parties during term time. Far better to err on the side of caution and quickly vacate if you do see a school party in there rather than risk being challenged and the Trust's knuckles being rapped - we do need the Sailing Centre's goodwill for car parking, access of vehicles to the Flashes, a say in any future development they may undertake etc.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back