• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (103 Viewers)

4th August

A quiet evening at the Flashes from 7.20-9.00. The water continues to dwindle, with a corresponding lack of birds. Most noteable were 11 Green Sandpipers, accompanied by 4 Common Sandpipers and two Little Ringed Plovers. A Snipe had been reported earlier by RAP. There were five Teal dabbling amongst the Mallards in the expanses of soft mud, whilst 22 Stock Doves were scattered around the drier edges of the pool. The roost was unspectacular (at least by the time I left) with only c.350 Black-headed Gulls and nothing scarcer in the way of gulls and only four Common Terns. Lapwings totalled 48.

I had a brief look at the newly strimmed channels in the Hen Pool; looks good but there only three or four Reed Warblers showing at 8.50!

Mike

The Education Reserve is theoretically out of bounds, being part of the Sailing Centre. From the Sailing Pool car park walk by the overflow car park and through the gate that leads behind the houses and petrol station. After about 50 metres the heath is on your left - always looks very good for a potential Wryneck or Hoopoe.

I would suggest that any access is made either at weekends or in the school holidays as it is used by school parties during term time. Far better to err on the side of caution and quickly vacate if you do see a school party in there rather than risk being challenged and the Trust's knuckles being rapped - we do need the Sailing Centre's goodwill for car parking, access of vehicles to the Flashes, a say in any future development they may undertake etc.

Phil

Many thanks, I will have a look this weekend :))

No Birds so here's some Dragonflies.

A few shots taken at Smite Farm Granery pool Saturday 23/7.

Black Tailed Skimmer eating Hover Fly. Hover fly with and without head.

Brown Hawker laying eggs.

Simon P:-O

Attachments

• Black-Tailed-Skimmer-IMG_55.jpg
    Black-Tailed-Skimmer-IMG_55.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Black-Tailed-Skimmer-IMG_56.jpg
    Black-Tailed-Skimmer-IMG_56.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Brown-Hawker-IMG_8171a.jpg
    Brown-Hawker-IMG_8171a.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 75
Identification question.

These shots were taken today around the North Moors Pool path and down by the Salwarpe.

The moth i think is a Magpie Moth.

The first 2 shots of the dragonfly i think may be a Common Darter Male and the last 2 shots maybe a female common darter. Can anyone confirm my suspicions or correctly identify them for me.

Many thanks

Attachments

• Magpie-Moth-IMG_9224a.jpg
    Magpie-Moth-IMG_9224a.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Darter-IMG_9244.jpg
    Darter-IMG_9244.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Darter-IMG_9249.jpg
    Darter-IMG_9249.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 67
  • Darter-2-IMG_9260.jpg
    Darter-2-IMG_9260.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Darter-2-IMG_9261.jpg
    Darter-2-IMG_9261.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 61
A few shots taken at Smite Farm Granery pool Saturday 23/7.

Black Tailed Skimmer eating Hover Fly. Hover fly with and without head.

Brown Hawker laying eggs.

Cracking pics Simon...brown hawker, 3 lots of pics in as many days of what it supposed to be a very difficult species to capture.:t:John

These shots were taken today around the North Moors Pool path and down by the Salwarpe.

The first 2 shots of the dragonfly i think may be a Common Darter Male and the last 2 shots maybe a female common darter. Can anyone confirm my suspicions or correctly identify them for me.

Many thanks

Cracking stuff - well done!

Sightings 05/08/11

At the Flashes this morning I saw:

14 Green Sands
3 Common Sands
2 LRPs
63 Lapwings
3 Teal
160+ Black-headed Gulls
1 Little Owl

I popped in to the Hen Brook Hide to see the work that had been carried out and managed to capture an image of a Reed Warbler(see below).

Over at the Moors Pool I saw:

1 Green Sand
1 Common Sand with yellow leg ring attached (see below)
12 Greylag Geese
2 Common Terns
1 Snipe
1 Water Rail - in front of the West Hide
1 Hobby

Terry Norledge reported seeing 3 Nuthatches in an oak tree to the left of the East Hide (as viewed from the West Hide) during the afternoon.

I also saw Green Woodpeckers in the Education Reserve and along the Salwarpe and heard one calling at the Flashes. It is encouraging that this species seems to have returned to the reserve after being somewhat scarce earlier on in the year.

The final 3 images are of a Brown Argus (I believe!) which I photographed on the "Heath" in the Ed Res, a Black-tailed Skimmer (found near the gate by the car park at the Moors) and a Small Copper whose image I captured along the Salwarpe.

Attachments

• Reed Warbler.jpg
    Reed Warbler.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Common Sandpiper.jpg
    Common Sandpiper.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Brown Argus.jpg
    Brown Argus.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Black-tailed SkimmerDSCF0583.jpg
    Black-tailed SkimmerDSCF0583.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Small CopperDSCF0425.jpg
    Small CopperDSCF0425.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 73

Many thanks

Spot on Simon. If you look at the legs they are not all black but partially straw coloured (very subtle). It is the females that can cause problems, the Ruddy Darter being very similar, but the legs, and other features not visible on your images, tell the two species apart.

Resident moth-man John Sirrett, in Brazil at the moment, would confirm your moth as a Magpie.

Des.

A quiet evening at the Flashes from 7.20-9.00. The water continues to dwindle, with a corresponding lack of birds. Most noteable were 11 Green Sandpipers, accompanied by 4 Common Sandpipers and two Little Ringed Plovers. A Snipe had been reported earlier by RAP. There were five Teal dabbling amongst the Mallards in the expanses of soft mud, whilst 22 Stock Doves were scattered around the drier edges of the pool. The roost was unspectacular (at least by the time I left) with only c.350 Black-headed Gulls and nothing scarcer in the way of gulls and only four Common Terns. Lapwings totalled 48.

I had a brief look at the newly strimmed channels in the Hen Pool; looks good but there only three or four Reed Warblers showing at 8.50!

Mike

Hi Mike. You talk about dwindling water. Did it rain at all on Thursday? Driving to the south coast on Thursday was through almost continuous heavy rain.

Des.

Saturday 6th August

Highlights for today, which was very quiet on both the bird and visitor front, were as follows up to 5:30pm:

FLASHES
1 LRP (juv), 15 Green Sand, 3 Common Sand, 1 Curlew, 92 Lapwing, 2 Grey Heron, 7 Teal, 1 Coot, 12 Moorhen, Willow Warbler, 6 Stock Dove, juvenile Buzzard, 18 Greylag Geese, 165 BH Gull, Jay, Common Whitethroat, several juvenile Pied Wagtails, 2 Little Owls on Hobden Hall Farm, Water Rail calling, 2 adult + 2 juvenile Common Terns

MOORS
1 Common Sand (colour ringed), 3 Lapwing, 1 Teal, 200 Mallard, 9 Tufted Duck + 3 broods (5:2:1), 3 Little Grebe, 7 adult + 1 juvenile GC Grebe, 5 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, possible subadult Yellow-legged Gull briefly, 3 Herring Gull, 25 LBB Gull, 170 BH Gull, 2 Mute Swan, 98 Canada Geese, 7 Moorhen, 111 Coot, Whitethroat under the East Hide, juvenile Green Woodpecker along the east track.

There were good numbers of martins but I didnt see a Swift all day (although they were reported). This is one species that often tends to slip away unnoticed; can any further sightings this year please be posted on the Forum or added to the log-books.

Thanks
Phil

Last edited:
Hi Mike. You talk about dwindling water. Did it rain at all on Thursday? Driving to the south coast on Thursday was through almost continuous heavy rain.

Des.

It didn't rain at all Des (and still hasn't apart from a couple of very brief showers).

Mike

6th August

Nothing to add to Phil's post other than a couple of images. One of the Whitethroat at the Flashes, the other of what I believe is a Brown Argus - although I'm sure Des will correct me if I'm wrong :eek!:

Mike

Attachments

• whitethroat - upton 060811a.JPG
    whitethroat - upton 060811a.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 78
  • brown argus - upton 060811.JPG
    brown argus - upton 060811.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 86
  • brown argus underwing - upton 060811.JPG
    brown argus underwing - upton 060811.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 80
Nice one Craig! I take it that this is a different bird to those seen last Sunday (as per Dave and Chris's photos in posts #6210 and 6212)

Last edited:
Butterfly

Nothing to add to Phil's post other than a couple of images. One of the Whitethroat at the Flashes, the other of what I believe is a Brown Argus - although I'm sure Des will correct me if I'm wrong :eek!:

Mike

Hi, The orange lunes do not go to the edge of the wing and traces of blue on the butterflies body indicate female common blue.

Regards, John

Moth

Spot on Simon. If you look at the legs they are not all black but partially straw coloured (very subtle). It is the females that can cause problems, the Ruddy Darter being very similar, but the legs, and other features not visible on your images, tell the two species apart.

Resident moth-man John Sirrett, in Brazil at the moment, would confirm your moth as a Magpie.

Des.

Hi, This is a Maggie moth (macro) Regards, John

Mike

Just to chip in. With regards to JHDraytonbassettpits comment regarding the Brown Argus. Your photo is of a worn male Brown Argus Mike. Only the females tend to have the orange lunes all the way to the edge of the forewing (males dont). Also Brown Argus are members of the 'Blues' and some individuals can still have blueish bodies.

Where possible it is always best to check the pattern on the underwing
to look for the classic Brown Argus twin spot. See attached photo. Also the below link is useful.

http://www.britishbutterflies.co.uk/components/downloads/cb-ba-id-guide-low-res.pdf

Jase

Attachments

• Brown Argus & Common Blue comparasion (JK 2011).jpg
    Brown Argus & Common Blue comparasion (JK 2011).jpg
    182 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
A Garden Warbler in bushes along the eastern side of the sailing pool was probably my highlight on a very quiet day. Juveniles of Common Whitethroat and Willow Warblers along there also. 2 eclipse Gadwalls on moors plus Little Grebe and 2 Common Sandpipers. 3 more Common Sandpipers on flashes plus juv LRP and 11+ Green Sandpipers.

compare water levels

Not a great comparison, but just amazed how much the water has been lost.
1st shot taken end of June, 2nd shot today.
Great day once again. Saw the water rail, tufted duck with 6 young diving like they were born to do, and a solitary curlew on the flashes.

Attachments

• Flashes.jpg
    Flashes.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Panorama 3 copy.jpg
    Panorama 3 copy.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 79

Users who are viewing this thread

Back