• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with digiscoping. (1 Viewer)

Nature__lover

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to get closer, better quality photos, (mainly of birds) so am thinking about digiscoping.
I have a digital camera (10 MP)
and a friend has kindly given me a 15-45X60mm spotting scope.

I've heard I need an adapter ..
but I'm not sure what type will fix my Technika sh-a366 digital camera to my spotting scope?
~
also Ideally I'd love to get a DSLR but they're very expensive usually.
I found some models going cheap on the internet and was wondering if anyone knew what these models would be like?
The Samsung GX-1S
and the Canon EOS 400D

thanks for taking the time to look at this post

Last edited:
The Samsung GX-1S is a decent enough camera. I had the GX-1L for a long time until I dropped it and smashed the LCD screen. The GX-1S has a brighter penta prism viewfinder than the GX-1L that I had which had a penta mirror. The Canon 400D uses a penta mirror so in this respect the Samsung is better. The Samsung uses the standard Pentax mount so there are a ton of affordable lenses to be had, especially on ebay. The Asahi Pentax SMC lenses are very good quality for the money. The Canon has 10 million pixels while the Samsung has 6 million so the Canon wins in that respect. The Samsung would probably be my choice, depending on price though. I currently use a Canon 450D so I speak from both sides of the fence. As far as entry level Canon's go I'd say the 450D is where they produced a decent camera. The earlier models weren't all that good.

Can't help all that much with the digiscoping adapter. Your camera is quit a basic model so some sort of universal digiscope adapter would be needed. Before you spend a load of money I'd try hand holding the camera to the scope eyepiece and take a few shots to see what the quality will be like. Start off with the scope and camera at low magnification and gradually increase it while taking photos and see how the combination works. Try the camera in different modes too as one might be better than the other.

Paul.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I think I'm probably going to go with the Samsung- found it cheap on ebay.
it may not be the best DSLR but it certainly will be better than my basic digital camera. then I may try digiscoping with that at some point.
thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back