• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New and Need help (1 Viewer)

RaShell

United States
I am just getting started in digiscoping. I have always loved taking pictures using the auto settings on my camera, and now I have taken over my husbands spotting scope and am excited to figure this thing out. The wild turkey will be strutting soon and I want to capture some phenomenal shots. I have a Nikon D5000 camera and a Swarovski STX 115mm spotting scope with a Swarovski TLS APO 43mm lens system to attach the two pieces together. I have figured out I need my camera on manual, but I am not sure what or how to get the settings correct on my camera. I need help please.

Hi RaShell and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Good luck with your digiscoping adventure, you'll gets lots of advice here. Just wondering, if you're used to using auto whether going full manual might be a little hard to start with - maybe try either Aperture Priority or Shutter speed priority? I hope we may see some of your pictures in the Gallery!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you(y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I am just getting started in digiscoping. I have always loved taking pictures using the auto settings on my camera, and now I have taken over my husbands spotting scope and am excited to figure this thing out. The wild turkey will be strutting soon and I want to capture some phenomenal shots. I have a Nikon D5000 camera and a Swarovski STX 115mm spotting scope with a Swarovski TLS APO 43mm lens system to attach the two pieces together. I have figured out I need my camera on manual, but I am not sure what or how to get the settings correct on my camera. I need help please.

I used my Nikon V1 and also D3s with the TLS APO 30 at Aperture mode and usually at 30x on the scope and try to get as closer as possible to my subjects. For video mode, I zoomed up to 70x for record purposes

My problem with using camera on scope: need to focus scope on bird before attaching camera! All takes time. Meanwhile bird moves. I graduated to zoom camera. Lower quality perhaps but quicker exposure. Now I use scope/camera rarely, only for birds sitting/sleeping?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back