• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpecker!! (1 Viewer)

tp20uk said:
Oh - maybe I won't buy one after all!

You're right that they are like starling boxes but there usually full of something. Sometimes polystyrene or other times it might be balsa wood or compacted wood shavings. This means that they can make their own hole, but its easier going.
I've always thought that polystyrene can't be a good idea, as you'll end up with those little polystyrene 'bits' everywhere!
I don't know how willing the birds are to use these boxes, and probably would agree that they would prefer a real dead tree.

I too don't like the idea of those little white bits of polystyrene floating all over my garden, so won't be putting out any boxes with that stuff ...but added element to this thread - Great Spotted Woodpeckers do roost in my starling boxes in winter

Mind you, thinking how cold it gets here in winter - down to minus 25 - I would't mind a few centimetres of polystyrene floating round me!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back