• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers - males or juveniles (Stockholm) (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
Every spring for 3 years we have had a female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker on our feeders. This year she arrived on 26th February.
On 18th April I visited the little cemetery across the road to see if I could find the woodpecker as I had seen previously seen her in the cemetery or in the trees outside.
I found her very quickly and then shortly afterwards, much to my surprise, I saw a male. This was something my wife and I had hoped for but we had almost given up.
2 days later we went on a birding trip to Skåne in the far south of Sweden and when we returned we were unable to find any Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in the area.
Yesterday, 1st August, I saw at least 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers in the trees outside our bedroom window (possibly 3 but I only saw 2 at the same time). The all had red caps.
My question is whether they were males of juveniles.
I've attached pictures of 2 birds but I recollect one that was pale with an orange-red cap. Could have just been the light though. There was both sunshine and shade.

Attachments

• 064A6449.jpg
    064A6449.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 064A6450.jpg
    064A6450.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 064A6453.jpg
    064A6453.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 064A6460.jpg
    064A6460.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 57
So does juvenile female have no red on the crown at all? Svensson f/guide shamefully (but characteristically) ignores the issue. (Yes, I could look it up somewhere else but haven't.)

Thank you very much indeed, Alexander and Creedence for these very helpful answers to my question. None of our field guides has a picture of a juvenile female and I couldn't find any reliable information online. This is the first successful breeding of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers we've had locally since 2006.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back